Hagerty.com

Joseph’s Garage is a Pontiac dealership that has outlasted the brand.

At Joseph’s Garage, they sold Pontiacs the old-fashioned way for 69 years. And they still do. The brand has been gone since 2010, but the blue Pontiac sign still hangs above the familiar shop in Norwell, Massachusetts, and a handful of Bonnevilles, Torrents, and the odd Aztek can often be found on the lot.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/02/14/josephs-garage-is-a-pontiac-dealership

Maybe its simply one aspect of getting “old” but I love stories and places like Joseph’s Garage. In my career I do a fairly amount of travel and I always (when driving) try to get off the highway and take the back roads through small towns; many like the one in the article haven’t changed much; love seeing the old homes and business. So I enjoyed the story, would love to visit the place same day but I always wonder: "Are the kids of today going to have fond memories as I (we) do and if so, what’s it gong to look like for today’s hi-tech, electric (soon to be) automobiles, small screen wrist phones to be considered “old school”? Enjoyed the story, let’s hope the nephews keep it going. P.S. For us classic “Car Guys” that have the typical small back garage, these northern Ohio winters are a killer…hope that Ground Hog was correct.

Won’t be going for an Aztec! But we miss those small dealers now! Outlandish big bucks to repair your car so Mr. Big Cheese can go on lavish vacations and spend their money in the big city…nuff said. Farming was the same enterprise. But we still have some small garages around that we use and enjoy some politics, religion and just complain about stuff. We may be turning the corner soon though as people return to looking under the hood and taking better care of their stuff. I can’t believe how quickly the years go by. maybe its time we outlawed new models every year! Say every 2 years! Gm could save more money for their investors or maybe just build a better car that would up their sales, instead of going to Mexico for their production. Its Monday…maybe will be more optimistic when the week improves!!!

This may be a romantic notion built on love of the car hobby, but, I would LOVE to see that showroom being used to continue the Pontiac legacy. Either by consignment or flip to sell it would be a great addition to having that sign on the building. What this family has forgotten about Pontiacs is more than what some people know about them. I also connect with the “sales strategy” that made them great. I did sell GM in the 90’s and was told by some that I “…did it right.”. I wish there were more stories out there like these guys.

If the “nephews” decide that they do not want to take over, continue the garage it would be nice to see a “Pontiac Collector” or a group buy the garage and do what yarddogdoctor suggested; make the “Show Room” a great place to display and sale classic Pontiacs; would be a great “Road Trip” destination. Wish I had the place to fit my classics; the “Bug” wouldn’t have to sit outside in the back:

Love it. As a retired Ford Motor Co. Employee, I have visited many small town dealers. Have seen a lot go out of business and miss them. Good to see some that survive and carry on the memories. Hope they keep it going.

Wow what a great story. I hope Joseph’s garage continues the tradition of great service to the community. The fact that they were a Pontiac dealership only increases my admiration for them. I live in Massachusetts and sometime this spring I’ll have to take a ride In my Lemans sport convertible for a tank of gas. Who knows maybe they’ll check my oil and clean my windshield like the old days.

The same thing in Hart Mi.They have a car show every year.

That can’t be Michigan. I can’t see a single pothole in the road.

Bill; if you make that drive and get a tank of gas and a windshield clean…when checking that oil; if you are a little low…don’t do as you probably done in the past and get that “Bulk Oil”!..Go ahead and get a new can.

When I was younger I worked at a garage then moved up to tow truck driver; we use to change the oil in a car; run it through a double screen into a storage tank and then pump it out into the glass bottle; sell it a “Bulk Oil”; those who had a car that burn a quart or two a week (day) would top it off with the “Bulk Oil”…

I drove a cab for awhile back in 1961. The company had a fleet of about a dozen '53 Plymouths, and two new Valiants. Both Valiants died after 60,000 miles, but the '53’s rolled on, so long as you added a quart (sometimes more) of bulk oil EVERY DAY, usually 100 miles or so. If you didn’t put it in gear when you turned off the ignition, they would diesel for three or four minutes.

Yep; you have to be of a certain period to remember “Bulk Oil”

Thanks for recognizing Joseph’s Pontiac of Norwell, MA. Not too many in the car business do it like this anymore. I’m a loyal customer. I bought my 2004 Vibe from them, and it was the best car-buying experience I’ve ever had. Art, Jr. even found me a 5-speed manual in the trim I wanted. They serviced the car until I gave it up 2 years ago, and then they bought it back from me! Right now, mechanic brother John is doing some work on my 1989 Lincoln Town Car – the reason I’m part of Hagerty’s in the first place. Experienced, knowledgeable, honest. And yeah, the little brick garage with the Pontiac sign is definitely a throwback.

Uh, yeah. Stick to I-75

That blue TA out front? I’ll take it! :sunglasses:

GM had its share of brilliant designers and engineers, Harley Earl, Bill Porter, Jack Humbert, & the performance icon Zora Arkus Duntov. Naturally, entering the auto racing sport was a given. GM finally got into racing in the early 1960s, but GM was never really a “total buy in” to the game. A fews later, GM got out of racing. Secondly, in the sixties GM’s bean counters, accountants, and number crunchers started to constrain the stylists, designers, and engineers until mediocrity took over in the 1970s. GM had taken on too many platforms & divisions which saturated the market eventually causing several brands to be dropped…Oldsmobile, Saturn, & Pontiac. GM lost market share and today we see the results of 30 years of neglect.

Loved this article, great job. One question, I didn’t see any pics of the gas pumps, did I somehow miss them? Thanks Bill