Hagerty.com

Key start vs Fob start

My mechanic lost the key to my 1964 Corvette. I was able to use a bore scope and get the numbers off the lock inside the drivers door by inserting it inside the door . I gave this number to a local long time locksmith and they had books from 1964 model year cars and made my new key from the numbers. Cost? $20.

This year we decided to trade in our 2004 car for a 2018 car. the new car comes wth a Key fob and push button start. We misplaced one fob and to replace it was close to $400. Somehow, I don’t think we have made much progress when it come to starting a car. I will take the old fashoned key start any day over the Fob.

I was at the Ford dealer for another matter, and was looking at a big cast aluminum assembly sitting by his desk and asked him what that was. He said it was the ignition key assembly for some model of Ford. Price, over $1000. New ignition switch for my 64 Vette. $30? How do you rate progress? Cost more? More complicated? Your screwed if you break or loose it?

If I could convert my new car to a key start I would. I think the fob start should be an option on a new car. I never had a problem using a door key, a trunk key etc. Repairs are simple and not costly.

1 Like

Repairs and simple and cheap, but security is low.

I am with you on the convenience not being worth it. I still prefer standard keyed ignitions, but the my girlfriend has a Jeep that unlocks when you walk up to it. Don’t even have to move the key from your pocket. It is also quite a large key, which is annoying. Tradeoffs I guess.

Some fobs have valet keys in them…

Re other Kyle’s gf. Maybe HK for Hagerty Kyle?

The Prius guys used to change their rides out to.open up with their phones because of the onboarding bluetooth.

A neat hack, but I know that most wireless technology like that isn’t secure.

Something just seems right about keys, however the more memorable/attractive/standoffish your keychain is, the more it weighs and the sooner the ignition wears out on you. So, you have that tradeoff, too I guess.

UPDATE: outside of here, you are far from alone in this feelings. Another fine article about fobs vs keys can be found here: https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/ownership/there-is-nothing-quite-like-a-key-that-actually-goes-into-the-ignition/ar-AABZbPU?ocid=spartanntp

Yes, when you have a key, you know where it is, usually it is in the ignition, or in your pocket on your key dodad. Since the fob doesn’t have to be in any special place for the car to run and unlock, it can wind up in the coffee cup holder, on the floor, don’t like it in my pocket. It is just one of those things that will become accepted over time, and young folks won’t even know what a real key is. I look at the little key for my old Corvette made by Briggs & Stratton that still works after 54 years, then look at that enormous silly fob, and think we are not making progress, just making things more expensive. I bet that electronic fob start thing will not be working in 54 years at all. It will be long dead. Then I will drive by in my Briggs & Stratton key started Corvette. Oh wait! I will be dead too.

Actually, my old Corvette has an ignition switch position where you can start and drive the car without a key, other Chevy’s as well. You had to turn it to the locked position and take out the key for it not to opporate. So, 54 years ago we had a keyless ignition with no ginormous electronic fob. Made your car pretty easy to steal if you used that feature.

1 Like