Hagerty.com

Know Your Designers: Malcolm Sayer

Welcome to the latest iteration of our “Know Your Designers” series. To read about the exploits of other influential automotive designers, check out Giorgetto Giugiaro, Larry Shinoda, Marcello Gandini, and Tom Tjaarda.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2020/02/13/know-your-designers-malcolm-sayer

Malcolm Sayer was one of the most intelligent, brilliant, automotive geniuses of the 20th Century. He proved beyond a doubt that aerodynamics were more important than raw horsepower. His designs will forever be counted among the most important and beautiful of the 20th Century, perhaps of all time. Personally my life has included many, many, E-Types in my garage. It would include a true C-Type, D-Type, XKSS, and Lightweight E-Type should a massive fortune fall my way. There are not enough superlatives to describe this man. Without a doubt his name should be included in any conversation of the best of the best automotive designers ( Excuse me, Aerodynamicists ) of all time.

Jon Strader

I wonder if Chapman pulled this design for the Lotus XI. It looks like a “Baby” Jag to me. ……Jim.