Hagerty.com

Luxury Cars - Gran Torino, Grand Prix and more

Some of Detroit’s past efforts to build luxury cars from mainstream models – a.k.a. “badge engineering” -- produced clunkers like the Cadillac Cimarron and Lincoln Versailles. But when engineering, design and marketing came together with well thought-out “platform sharing” models, the results were far more pleasing – and profitable.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/Articles/2014/01/08/personal-luxury

In the same vein as the other Chrysler 300’s, the 1979 Chrysler 300 was based on the Cordoba, but it also gained the police version 360-4 bbl and the heavier duty suspension and brakes. I’ve owned and daily driven a couple of them and they really were pretty enjoyable to drive. “Personal luxury” plus one!

Love the Luxury of my '74 LTD Brougham

No mention of the 1970 Chrysler 300 seems downright criminal. What a stylish car. Coupe, convertible, four-door, no matter. Im my mind, tied for the best-looking American car of the year with the Caddy Coupe deVille. And as much as I love the 300 droptop, I have to give the nod to the four-door. Just about perfect proportions, lines, details, etc. Truly classic. Ragtop ain’t half bad though…

My 1974 Continental Mark IV. Even though it’s basically a fancied Ford, I still love the trip back in time each time I drive it. Totally impractical, but that’s the charm of it. Long hood, cocoon-like interior. Nearly everyone seemed to want one in ‘74, even the gas shortage couldn’t take the luster away.

It’s no disgrace, you know…Many of our favorite and most coveted cars were created on the platform-sharing cheap… Pontiac GTO, Plymouth Road Runner and Super Bird, Cadillac Escalade, 64.5 Mustang, 2009 Dodge Challenger, just to name a few that come to mind.

What about the most beautiful personnel luxury ( unpractical) car ever
THE Buick RIVIERERA 1971