Hagerty.com

Luxury Muscle - Pontiac Grand Prix, Buick Riviera, and more

The formula for classic American muscle has been oft-repeated and it’s pretty straightforward – stuff the biggest, most powerful engine possible into the smallest car, go really fast in a straight line. Sure, if you checked the right boxes, you could get cushy stuff like power windows, air conditioning and an automatic transmission, but most of these options just added weight and aided your competition at the next stop light.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2016/09/09/luxury-muscle-cars

Personally, I prefer the 1970 Monte Carlo SS 454, for a selfish reason. I still have the one I bought brand new right off the showroom floor. In the late 1970’s, I built it and drag raced it. Had fun surprising the Camaro guys. It turned a quickest time of 12.000 seconds, just couldn’t nudge it into the 11’s. Now it’s all back to less than stock, 8 1/2 to 1 compression for today’s fuel, but she’s still a beauty.

Don

How about the Chrysler 300? My dad had a 1966 Chrysler 300 with the 440 TNT, disc brakes, HD suspension and posi rear axle.