Hagerty.com

McQueen’s Bullitt could be the most expensive Mustang ever sold at auction

When we broke the news in January 2018 that the long-lost Bullitt Mustang was safe and sound in Tennessee, the story rocked the automotive world. It also ignited speculation about how much the iconic car might be worth if it ever hit the market.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/08/14/mcqueens-bullitt-most-expensive-mustang-sold-at-auction
1 Like

My guess is 7 million😎

I really think the speculation is not going to be there. Yes the car is iconic, but there aren’t a lot of people out there that will have the desire to ante up much more than that. I think it will get to over 1 mil in a heartbeat. But it will go flat after 1.3 and Dana will struggle to get it to 1.6.
I will be happily surprised for all if it goes above that.

2 Likes

Count me out…I’m not the right guy. And I can prove it with my bank statement.

1 Like

Would not be surprised if a deep pocketed organization like the Peterson Museum buys this car. It would be a great addition to their collection.

1 Like

Here’s the comment I posted in response to the original article. I’m happy for the family and I think they’re making the right decision.

"Due to the tremendous historical significance of this automobile it should be someplace other than an old garage in the middle of nowhere. At what point does sentiment give way to reality? Huge reward vs. huge risk must be taken into account. Steve and Bob certainly were a couple of stubborn guys but that car IS Steve to millions of fans whereas it IS Bob only to Bob’s son. (And the fact that Bob let his wife use it as a daily commuter car? I’m having a hard time with that.) Sean, it’s your car but if you had some other hugely significant and hugely valuable historical artifact would you just keep it in your garage because it meant a lot to your Dad? It’s been a great chapter for both of you but it sure seems like a perfect time to start writing a new chapter, generationally funded and risk free.

as much as ive dreamed of owning this car , I too will be watching as my bank book keeps me home. I figure somewhere above 4.3 million . 1 and only 1 of the most amazing car in the history of cars. ah if only I had a couple billion. I would never pay that kind of money for a car! oh bs yall know if I had it I would

My thought is that the Bullet Mustang will top out at $2M.

Very cool, whoever buys it I hope keeps it as is and provides the opportunity for others to see it.

1 Like

I will be there to watch this car be sold. To me this is car history. If I win the lottery between now and then I would be bidding to win it. I don’t think I’m alone… Good Luck in the bid!!!

Sky is the limit. Billionaire movie and/or car buffs will go to war over this thing. I hope it stays in the US and is perhaps loaned out to a museum where people can see it. It would be a shame if it ended up in a warehouse collection with a Saudi oil sheik or a Russian oligarch.

1 Like

If it really is one of the cars used in the making of Bullitt, I think it will easily hit $3m to $4m. Only thing I don’t get is why the VIN plate says 71 when it should be a 68.

I appreciate the car for what it is but I would much rather have my 25k 69 fastback. I’m glad someone will get the car and do something with it so it’s not sitting in a shed for 30 more years.

While the car is most definitely an icon when it comes to Hollywood cars; it should be in a Museum not in a private collection. Plus, now that I am 54 years old and being at the tail end of the Baby-boomer timeframe; the Mustang is going to be a “highly speculative” purchase. All of us who are still out here and those of us who still remember the movie are dying off. Seems like younger cars enthusiasts are moving on to newer things. So who will want the car 10 years from now? Too risky for me, even if I had the money.

I would not at all be surprised if it tops $10 million. There is a lot of money out there to buy the coolest car of all time.

WHATEVER it goes for, it’s going to Jay Leno.

4 Likes

I think the author missed the highest price that a “traditional” muscle car sold at auction. That about the 1967 L88 Corvette Coupe sold at the Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale auction in 2014 for $3.85 million.

Not to mention the Cobra Super Snake at over $5M or the 1962 Cobra at over $13M. But most folks don’t consider Cobras to be muscle cars.

I doubt the car will go for anywhere near $3M. There is nothing special about the car itself and it’s easily cloned. The collector value is in the McQueen/ Bullitt movie provenance. They missed an important window of opportunity with introduction of the 2018 Bullitt Mustang and that hype window is now closed. Plus we are moving toward a possible recession that might hit hard right before the upcoming auction.

1 Like

I hope it goes to a Museum as well . The one private collector with whom I would not mind if it went too is Leno . He would get it . Not to be too rude but I hope McQueen’s son does not get it .

If I had a million dollars for every time I have watched that movie… Hmmmmmm.

Here in Tacoma, WA we have been lucky enough to have it on display for a few months at the LeMay car museum. Great to see it up close but hard to believe it will come close to 3.5 million. Representatives from a few museums might be the only ones to pay more than 1.5 million. When they say “barn find” this car is the ideal image so you keep it as is and put it on a pedestal in a museum. It certainly didn’t draw huge crowds here even though the museum did its best to promote it was on display.