Hagerty.com

Missed 63 Split window coupe

Working at the family garage in CT, one of the “garage rats” that frequented the place stopped in with his 1963 Corvette Coupe, and asked me it I knew of anyone that was interested in it as he needed to sell it quickly to buy a Harley. He warned me that the paint (flawless) was NOT an original yellow, and it was missing the door cards. Car was very nice, but I just couldn’t come up with the cash that day–which was a whopping $3500.00

Ah yes, the one that got away… When I graduated from college (1997), I found a 63 split window for $12,500, and I kick myself for not buying it… But it was also far from original (had a 454 installed)… But still, a split window…

And my dream of finding my dad’s '63 split window (he bought one new, and traded the following year for a new '64 GTO), are pretty much a pipe dream, because even IF I found it, and its was in poor shape, it would still probably be out of my price range…

Also the one that got away; 66 black Shelby Cobra 289 4-speed with 30k miles needing paint…the moron seller wanted a whopping $9000 for it!!! And I had the money…and he was not nearly as stupid then as I am sad now…