Hagerty.com

Missing link: MVC 575 may be the most significant car that Triumph ever built

There aren’t many bits of early Triumph TR history left these days. Considering the genesis of the Standard Triumph range of sports cars—from TRs to Spitfires, Stags, and GT6s—we have little to point at and say, “That’s the start of it all.” So the lovely, geranium-green, speed machine known as MVC 575 is an important car merely in its role as a prototype TR2 and speed record breaker.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/01/03/the-most-significant-triumph-ever

In 1956 I went to school at SMU with a friend who owned a brand new TR2 in, IIRC, Powder Blue. I have no idea where Al is or whatever happened to his TR2, but I fell in love with British cars after my first ride in it. I now have RRs, Jags and Bentleys. Would love a TR2 but its out of my budget right now. I console myself with a Sky Redline

I had a 1954 TR2 (rhd) I sold a few years ago, it needed a total restoration and it had the wrong motor in it. I was told by a reputable restoration shop that it wouldn’t be worth restoring and he was very knowledgeable about Triumphs. It was originally exported to Singapore, I still have the license plate from there. I bought it from a fellow that bought it used there while working there for a few years and he had it shipped to Texas where he lived. I should have kept it but the body was pretty far gone with rust. I sold it for a song and the restoration was started and hopefully finished, but I lost touch with the buyer. I’ve had a few Triumphs over the years, a TR6,TR4,TR8, and the TR2 in that order.

What a car! It was my very first as I won my wings at Pensacola, FL. It would outdrag an Austin Healy 3000 up until 4th gear. It ran with almost no maintainence (cadets pulled down a swift $150 a month in those days) and had a full tank only once, on the night I bought it. It looked perfect except for its tail. I just never got used to it as it gave me the feeling that the designer went out to lunch when he got to that part. It was the precursor to many English cars I have owned, even the dreaded Lotus Europa.

I’ve an original magazine article (now laminated) from circa 1954 with the same picture of Ken Richardson. The caption reads: "How 90 bhp could propel the Triumph to a speed of 124 mph is explained by this view of the “projectile”. Driver, Ken Richardson."
This article is the last two pages in a DORETTI SCRAPBOOK I created in 1955 on my 1954 Swallow Doretti, my first automobile, that’s been lost in time.
Swallow Doretti #1208,my presently owned RHD example, is well know at concours events from So. Carolina to South Florida. It’s been invited to “The Amelia” twice! Thanks, Tommy Entenza, Jacksonville, Florida

Why is this car left-hand drive? Is it because it was purpose-built for the record attempt in Belgium?