Hagerty.com

Moving on from my dad’s Ford Country Squire to a Mustang

A year after my dad died in 2002, I located and bought his old 1955 Ford. I thought I’d keep it forever. The Country Squire wagon was originally purchased by my great-uncle Eddie, who eventually gave it to my father, who sold it in 1993 when he needed some cash. Then, a decade later, Dad was gone, and I went searching for the Ford.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/11/15/moving-on-from-my-dads-ford-country-squire

What a wonderful story; both the owner and new owner will appreciate the usefulness of this gorgeous car(fabulous frontal view!). Hopefully you will keep in touch with the new owner and see how much they enjoy it

It’s a shame the next generation doesn’t have the flame.

One of our old cars happens to also be a '55 Ford.

Mom’s older brother bought it new and it was in his estate when he passed 8 years ago. I became the second owner of a rather original white over red tutone Sunliner with a black top and only 49 thousand miles on the odo.

I can remember the car since, well, I can remember, dated my wife in the car, and it was our wedding car in 1979. I’d always borrow the Sunliner when I was in town, making sure to return it in better condition. I suspect there were a number of years that I was the only one who used the Sunliner, None of my five cousins showed much interest in it. Ironically, the Sunliner was present for 3 of their weddings, but we were driving it, they had limos. When the car was offered to me, I remember my cousin telling me that his Dad wanted me to have the car.

I don’t get a lot of opportunities to use it these days, but Linda and I cannot imagine selling it. I waited over 50 years to get it, and I’m going to hang onto it as long as I can.

However, none of my three daughters have any strong interest in it. They have not shown much interest in a couple of cars we’ve had since they were born, either. Thought my oldest might have the flame, tried to fan it (her High School car was a black 71 Mercedes coupe), but a new husband and a new grandson have put out the spark. Even bought back her car, fixed it up and she turned it down.

Couldn’t fault her logic, she had no way to keep it running (neither are mech inclined) and it would mean her new car would sit outside. Oh well, you can try…

What a wonderful story. My first American Car (I’m English…) was a '55 Customline with a 272 and 3 on the tree.+ overdrive. I bought it in Feb. 71 and it cost me 10 quid. I don’t know what that was in $ but it wasn’t much!. A GI had brought it into the country, when he got stationed here. The car had a London registration. I still have an American car, (my 46th…) a 69 Road Runner, which I run for fun, in our nostalgia super stock class at the drags.

@jfreeh9999 As hard as it seems right now, it sounds like your daughter made the responsible choice in not accepting the Benz. I’m sure that it would have been even more frustrating seeing her unable to use or care for the car due to her current circumstances. But just because she’s not in the hobby now doesn’t mean that she won’t be involved in the future when her time and money might not be as limited.

And don’t go counting out the “next gen” of car enthusiasts so quickly. There’s a healthy contingent of younger car-lovers out there, but their interests lie in different cars and event-styles. These young bloods yearn for the cars they grew up with, which happen to be Japanese/Euro imports and modern muscle cars. The flame is still burning, but you just have to know where to look.

That is a cool story. Wish I could find mom and dads old 59 ford galaxie,but don’t know how you could do that these days because of the privacy laws.I own two old cars ,a 50’s and 60’ model. I know my son-in has interest in both of them and I hope my grandson or grandaughter will do the same. They are too young right now to really care one way or the other.

i have a 9 year old son who sort of shows an interest in cars in that he has asked me to show him how to drive a stick when 16. Where it goes from there I don’t know but I do know I won’t change my cars to accommodate him. My father had company cars through most of the '60s and so only purchased one actual car for himself. It was a 1968 Cougar. Sixteen months later it was my first car and it sits in the garage right now as a time capsule frozen in 1973. It was no longer a daily driver but I still drive it and did last weekend. The car stays.

My father, now having turned 91 almost two years back, had to give up driving. He owned a 2004 Buick Le Sabre Limited which is his last pride and joy. Has only 40,000 miles on it and many were asking to buy the car. Most to no doubt flip as I told my father as much. I ended up buying it being his last car. It will also stay with me through the rest of my life as the Cougar. Some might have sold but what it means to my father then means the same to me. Whether my son is into the car or not is not relevant.

Thanks for reading. I hated selling that Country Squire, but we are really enjoying the Mustang. It makes all the right noises and the kids find excuses to take it out.

My brother recently asked our mother when she was planning to stop driving the Lincolnthe
Her response was great! She told him that he would probably not want the Lincoln after she stopped driving. Mom explained that she would probably stop driving like her friends do. She said that after her friends had the big one, they decided to stop driving.