Hagerty.com

My ride; 47 Years later

I bought this car used from the original owner in August 1970. We have had many fun trips including one 7,500 mile one month journey around the USA in 1971. We only venture on short, local day trips nowadays as we are both in our twilight years.

That’s a beauty, @mjbradley3. Thanks for sharing.

Good to see someone else that has owned a wonderful car for 47 years. I have been fortunate to own my 63 XKE coupe for 47 yrs also. Bought it Feb 1970 and was 22 yrs old. Great picture of Big block body Corvette

Nice to see long time owners- still have my first car, a 1971 Porsche 914. Luckily both my boys inherited the car gene, so it will stay in the family “forever.”

That’s fantastic, keep it on the road for as long as you can. I was just 24 when I bought my ‘66.

That’s great that your boys have the car bug. All ours want are a Prius or a Kia Soul, don’t know where we went wrong.

Hard to believe that I bought my Volvo 1800S 51 years ago in Gothenburg Sweden.

After 49 years and 65,0000 or so miles tucked away in New England (no winters) it has followed us to semiretirement in Florida.

Very nice. Keep it going…

Great looking ride! Bought my 1965 big block (W/out original motor) in 1976 parked it in 1978, Been sitting in shop on jacks stands ever since. I also have a few miles under my belt so its time to do something. but 39yrs later and I still can not decide.

Thank you. Without knowing you and in my opinion only, I would spend as little money as possible and a lot of sweat equity to get that wonderful ‘65 running and back on the road again. I’m sure it would bring you, and others, a lot of pleasure and then you can decide to keep or sell. Good luck on your decision.

Thanks mj, You have the right opinion, Getting it running and driving is the thing to do. After that figure out where to go after that. Plus if I chose to sell it that would be the best return on my money besides selling in all taken apart

That’s amazing! Beautiful car.

That is one BEAUTIFUL Volvo!

This car is really awesome!

That’s a great looking car and timeless in its style. I also have a 47 year old red sports car that I think has aged rather well, my '72 De Tomaso Pantera.

Tberg, that is one awesome ride. You must be very proud while taking it out and sharing it with others. Always wanted a Pantera but could never find one as nice as yours.

Thank you for your kind words. The truth is that prior to the 4 year restoration process, I was simply never driving it. It was a pain in the ass to start, it wanted to overheat as quickly as possible, it couldn’t be driven in temperatures above 80F (and I live in the San Fernando Valley where it’s rarely less than that), it couldn’t be driven in traffic without worrying about overheating, it was simply too inconvenient to take it out. When I got my 5.0L Jaguar XKR about 6 years ago, I had a great car that was far quicker, much more comfortable and luxurious, supremely reliable, started everytime, and you didn’t have to worry about all of the external variables. So, I faced a decision, either sell the Pantera or make it more user friendly so that I would want to take it out and drive it. I hated the idea of selling it as I always loved the look and the idea of this car since I first saw it at a Lincoln/Mercury dealer in 1971, so I decided to make it more driveable. Originally, I took the car in just to address the difficulty with starting it by eliminating the carburetor and adding fuel injection, but of course, once you start one thing you pull out your wish list, and we did everything I wanted including a 500+hp built engine, “new” C-4 Corvette seats, every interior surface covered in leather with diamond quilted contrast stitching, modern flush windshield glass, headers, new exhaust, seat belt harnesses, etc…and a respray of what was already a very good paint job. There are still a few little finishing things to do, but I’ve driven it, at least a little bit each weekend since I got it back in November. That’s more than the previous 5 years’ worth of driving. I am hoping it will be a more pleasurable experience now and that I will enjoy it more. I certainly love looking at it.
Your Corvette is gorgeous. My cousin had a split window coupe when she was growing up, and one of my closest and oldest friends had a silver 1967. I hope you enjoy driving yours, and if you ever find yourself in Southern California, give me a holler, you can take the Pantera out for a day and see what you might have had if you’d bought one. Again thanks for the compliments, it’s certainly an attention getter.

Ted,
What a great account about such a beautiful car. Hopefully, you will drive it more when you complete your final to-do list. Spring in SoCal is just around the corner!!! What 500+HP engine did you put in it, I would hope it’s a GM LS7 being a GM fan but Ford Racing has some great engines as well.

I now live in NorCal, retired and get to drive my ‘66 fairly often, however not recently with all the rain and sloppy weather we’ve had. I’ve owned it since August 1970 and took it to school at Arizona State University in Tempe for 3+ years as my daily driver and have experienced the hot weather in a less than an ideal, non A/C, hot-weather car. I was a lot younger then and could tolerate the Arizona summer heat a lot more.

I bought a 2019 C7 and picked it up at the Corvette Museum last April in Bowling Green, KY and drove it 3,000 miles home to NorCal. A bucket list trip for sure. The C7 is my once a month weekend getaway car but only in good weather. I have an older Honda as my daily driver.

Corvette Museum Bowling Green, KY on delivery day Friday, April 13, 2018.

image1.jpeg

Midpoint Route 66 at Adrian, TX-April 17, 2018.
image2.jpeg

I grew up in SoCal, in Downey to be exact. I get down to the LA area from time to time as I have a grandson attending CalTech-Pasadena and have been a Dodger fan since they moved to LA in 1958 so I try to catch a game or two at Dodger Stadium each year. I’ll be planning a summer trip in the C7 to SoCal sometime and maybe we can meet up at a car show where you’re displaying your awesome Pantera, I’d love to see it. Regards, Martin

Hi Martin,

We actually put a built 351C engine that the shop had a chance to purchase very inexpensively,and since the 351C was the “native” born engine to the Pantera and was available, we went with that. The car is ferociously loud, enough so that I have to worry now that California has a new decibel law on the books for cars, and I have no doubt that the Pantera exceeds it probably at idle. Your C-7 must be a lot of fun. GM and Chevrolet have done wonders to the ride and handling and the suspensions, in general. Do you think the annual rumors of the mid-engined C-8 'Vette are true? That will certainly get enthusiasts excited if it is.

Where in Northern Cal are you? My wife’s two sisters live in Santa Cruz and Berkeley, so we are usually up there during the year. In fact, our tradition for more than 30 years is that we have Thanksgiving in Berkeley, and then everyone comes down to us for Passover.

If you venture on down here to L.A., Supercar Sunday is just a few minutes from home, I try and attend a couple of time per year. And Malibu Cars and Coffee is just a short, thrilling ride through the Santa Monica mountains to the Ocean with breakfast at the beach.

My daily driver is a 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0L coupe which alternates time with my 2002 XKR 'vert which it replaced. But having about 360 sunny days a year down here means there’s plenty of top down driving available. The 2010 is an exceptionally capable luxury car with nearly 600hp at the tap all wrapped up in an Aston Martin look alike body that can be picked up at 5 year old Toyota Camry prices on the used market. It is surprisingly quick (much more so than the pre-restoration Pantera) with gobs of torque from the supercharged engine. And it’s the first car I’ve ever had with paddle shifters. They should come with warning labels proclaiming, “Paddle shifters are addictive, use cautiously.” My 2002 'vert is stunning to look at and it’s link to its E-type heritage is so obvious, but its jiggly, bowl of jello ride is not as pleasurable to drive as its newer sibling. Still a grand feeling of a nod to the past when the wind is rifling through what little hair I have left.

Hopefully, we’ll get together soon. Have a very Happy New Year!

Ted

Hi Ted,

Of course the 351C is the perfect choice for the Pantera, well done! The powers that be in California want us all to drive hybrids or ride the bus. They can have my Corvettes when they pry them from my cold dead hands.

The C7 is quite a car for the price of admission. I chose the 7-speed manual which has active rev-matching and it’s like driving an automatic, except for clutching, once it’s launched. Great for winding roads in the Sierras or California coast roads. The C8 is coming, just don’t know exactly when. Us Corvette nuts are anxiously awaiting its arrival, might be another year as there are rumors of electrical issues and another rumor is that GM may have to use a 48v system to support all the electronics. Seems like overkill to me, but I’m no engineer. Here’s a video of a camouflage C8 at Nurburgring late last summer. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TyV8K7Vrp7k

I live over the hill east of Oakland along the Pleasanton-Walnut Creek I-680 corridor. Hopefully we can get together sometime and talk cars either up here or down in SoCal. The SuperSunday Corvette Marque gathering is on my calendar for September 1, then maybe a Dodger game on September 2-4. I have friends who are Porsche crazy that live in the Laguna/San Clemente area so I may be down that way earlier in the summer to take in a SS event.

Your Jags are stunning, great styling and performance to match. The ‘vert is beautiful, but then I’m very partial to most anything with a red hue.

Happy New Year to you and your family.

All the best, Martin