Hagerty.com

My terminal Volvo affliction and the 1964 1800S I couldn’t let die

In October 2015, I was standing next to my ’68 Volvo 1800S at a car gathering in Victoria, British Columbia, when someone showed me a Google Map on his tablet. He zoomed in to reveal an 1800 parked in a residential driveway not far away. He said he walked his dog by the house every night, and the car had been sitting in the same spot forever—at least a decade.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/06/13/1964-volvo-1800s-restoration

Hello my name is Marsha and my ex boyfriend has a 66 p1800 he has been trying to get rid of it needs some work to restore but it runs. If you are interested please contact me

Did you ever show the original owner the car, or at least a photo of the finished product (beautiful!)? If so, what was her reaction?

Hey! I am Volvo fanatic Guy who have restore many Volvo to be like new! Please Send som photo of your p1800

Hi. I’m locates in Charleston SC. Where is your ex-boyfriend’s car? I’m searching for a 1800 to restore.

Thank you.

Hello Marsha!
This is Max. My location is near Toronto. Where is the Volvo you mentioned located? Will appreciate your reply.
Max

I have loved the 1800 ES from the first time I saw one. i would trade my antique car and my daily drver for a good one and keep it forever

I have a nice 72es coming out of paint and body that has been a California car all of its life. If you are serious about a trade, let me know what you have.
Thanks,
Casey

Hey Casey, I would consider trading my pride and joy, a 1988 Mercedes-Benz 560 SEC Euro spec. pillarless coupe with just 96,000 original kilometers. I have owned this car for 14 plus years and it is in as close to mint as you can get. Mind you I have seen cars out of California which were badly rusted because they have lived too close to the pacific salt spray. Since your car is just coming out of a paint and body shop, what was the reason and do you have any pre work picts?

How about a silver Volvo 240 wagon anyone, Low km. 168,000 the car is described elsewhere in this thread. I just went out to check the odometer and my wife was sitting close by. I told her what I was doing, she said no way you are not selling that car. Sorry folks, I guess I’m keeping it. Not that I’m sorry, I’d probably regret selling it anyway, what else is there out there to replace it ?

Carl,
Thanks for your reply. I am more in the market for a smaller car than your no doubt beautiful coupe, which I have always admired for its style and power. My ES had four coats of paint on it, and needed to be taken down to bare metal before the original color was replaced. There were just a few areas that needed to be repaired. It has always been a California car, but most of its time seems to have been away from the coastal areas. Even here in Seal Beach, we are about five miles from the ocean.