Hagerty.com

Nearly all 1970–81 Camaro Z/28 values have hit the brakes

Unencumbered by the rushed deadline that brought about the original Chevrolet Camaro, yet buoyed by its success, the second-gen Camaro had the backing of a bigger budget and more lead time—and it showed.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/04/26/1970-81-camaro-z28-values-hit-the-brakes

I own an 80 z28. You can get really nice ones for 10 to 15k, loaded, if you look hard enough. I love the way you sit in these and Trans Am’s. Really fun cars, for not a lot of money and great styling.

I suspect the ever-decreasing cost of laser eye surgery is making interest in these cars decline :rofl:

The blue 1970 RS Z-28 is drop dead gorgeous. The proportions are spot on.

Has there been a recent article about value trends of 1st Gen Z/28’s? Just curious, saw a ‘68 sell at B-J Scottsdale for only $57K. Wonder the market is for my ‘68 RS Z/28?

I know what the whole problem is…that is hurting the whole performance classic car market in general…it is the newer muscle cars that are out there.

I have older performance classics for sale… in new condition… that are not moving at all…period!

Most people out there think that why should I pay all that money for a older classic when I could buy a newer high performance model with a warranty?
eg.Camaro and Mustang

There is no comparison of the new muscle cars to the older classics in performance…they are in a different ball game … They’re alot better and more efficient !

How long will they last though…is the mystery question?

There are two main reasons that I think they are wrong in not buying a classic…

1st…The newer ones depreciate heavily and are not a long term investment.
2nd…The newer muscle cars will not last as long as the older classics…Why?..They are full of electronics!
The manufacturers are only supplying parts for no more than 5 years or less…what happens after your electronic dash quits?..electronic differential?..main computer replacement?..engine computers…wiring harnesses…transmission computers…
…computerized suspensions?..not to mention body parts?..for a 2019 Mustang Bullitt for instance?

There will be more cars in the junk yard in brand new condition than the older classics.
The electronics in almost all cases are more expensive to fix than what the whole car is worth… when they are let’s say 7 years or older!
It’s not at that point yet…wait a few more years!

If one wants to make money in most cases …or lose…(yes!..sometimes there can be a loss in some cases…depending on how much one pays for a classic!)…always do your homework before you buy!..but in “almost all cases” one generally will not lose when buying a performance classic!

2 Likes

The timing of your question is impeccable. I update Camaros for the Hagerty Price Guide and we released the latest update to the guide this morning. 1968 Z/28’s haven’t moved at all for a few books, and they’re ones I spend a lot of time on. I’ve attached a link below to our valuation. Keep in mind, this is for non-RS cars. Add 25% for proper valuation on your car.

This is the same argument everyone used when digital dashes first came out in the 1980s. I’ve owned several 4th gen Vettes where the electronics in the dash failed, and it was a fairly simple process of removing them and shipping them to an entrepreneur who fixes them for a reasonable rate. This is also what will happen with modern electronics in cars that are destined to retain/gain in value.

Classic cars in general gain much of their appeal and value from their unique and ubiquitous styling that is no longer offered and never will be again due to multiple changes in the automotive market.

1 Like

Of course, 4th gen Corvettes are virtually unsellable at almost any price.

1 Like

I agree with the new muscle cars having an impact. Having owned a 1967 Z, and a 1970 Z, both with m22’s, how many might shy away from a manual transmission alone? Much less points, solid lifters, etc.? First generation was a crude brutal car. Mine had the fast ratio manual steering - 3 turns lock to lock. The 1970 was much more refined. My daughter owns a 1978, much more of car you might drive every day.
The new cars are faster, handle better, are easier to drive.
So although you still have some that have a passion for the older cars, the newer ones have a much larger audience.
Even for someone like me I find it harder to justify my choices. I have a 1969 Judge, and am finding myself thinking an LS swap might be better in the long run than resurrecting the old Butler built race motor and converting to E85. I find myself looking at things like hydraulic roller cam vs. the solid lifter setup, hardened valve-seats vs. new round port aluminum heads, 6 speed overdrive auto or swap out the 4.88’s. Leaning towards the swap as being more realistic market wise, should I ever sell.
Numbers matching vs. clone - Although I do appreciate numbers matching, a well done clone at a lesser price is very attractive.

Why were 69’s left out of this thread? My husband and I own the 1969 Z28/RS that we special ordered new in 69 just before we were married. We drove it on our honeymoon in 1970 and now take it to car shows where it does quite well. It is basically all original with new paint and some new parts. It sat in our cabin garage for around 30 years before we decided to get it out and get it spiffed up. How would a 69 one owner hold up on the market?

I think there is a big difference within this Camaro generation. Think about a ‘70 Z28 and an ‘81 Z28 just in styling alone. They are valued completely different.

One thing I noticed with the classic performance types is the cost to actually restore one vs. the price they sell for. Watching recent auction action (Barrett) I’m amazed when I see some classics cross the block at sub 50k numbers, and knowing that the cost to restore that same car must have been way more than 50k. Some of the shells alone are going for 10k depending on condition. Add engine, frame, new suspension, interior and paint and I can’t see how this will last. This must be starting to depress prices all around.

Now only if my 02 T/A convertible LS1 can get some love, I’ll be happy!

Who cares? That wasn’t the point of the article or my reply.

Doug

Because your 69 is a 1st Gen, the article was regarding 2nd Gens.

The newer cars are the same investment people made in 67-73. No one knew those would become so collectible. 40 years from now the new muscle cars will be the old muscle cars.

The are also easier to find parts for and far safer to drive.

I have owned my 79 Z-28 since new. I am sixty years old now. I never thought I would have kept my car this long, it just happened. I have never thought of selling my car. I never looked at my car as an investment (the moral of this story). If anything, a money pit! But a money pit that I absolutely love! So for this reason, the enjoyment outweighs the possible investment. I have met so many wonderful people because of this car. Life long friends. Yes, I have spent thousands of dollars over the years both maintaining and improving the looks and performance. Worth every dime. Most recently a crate motor, rebuilt trans, new ring/pinon, new exhaust and more. The car still looks good and performs great! I still love this car. Dave

1 Like

gwoods,
Great Analogy.
If these were such great looking cars then why are so many crossing the auction block on Mecum and Barrett/Jackson.
I quit watching them as it got so boring.

Maybe, just maybe, they have to sell them to have lasik eye surgery or have their hips replaced. Good looks can only take you so far, but it won’t pay the medical bills.

The main reason for the '70 Z28 not selling for more is the '69 Z/28.