Hagerty.com

Nearly all 1970–81 Camaro Z/28 values have hit the brakes

Don’t disagree. It’s a generational issue two-fold. The average age of new buyers of collector vehicles continues to change. It’s clear to understand how this generation who have the funds to spend are Less Carb and More PC. The LCMP buyers have driven several cars of the late 50’s downward some time ago. Then the 60’s killers come up to bat next. Then again it’s two-fold. It also has an impact of the older generation buyers, who reconsider what is a good investment knowing the younger buyer to come, will not value it higher at that time, it could easily go down. My 57 Bel-Air 2 dr hrdtop is worth less today than it was 10 years ago, considering some historical expectations of growth at that time.
it will not be completed , instead sell as a parts car. Remember the good ol days when numbers matching cars ruled the world. They have their place today, but back then a restomod was another word for custom , which was another word for junk. Not the multimillion dollar one off’s,or the Batmobile

Anyone notice that the blue RS in the feature picture has a bent bumperette? I read the article twice and still did not see any reason given for the lack of growth other than a comparison to new cars that are faster. What? Maybe they just inflated too fast too soon three years ago?

…huh? That makes no sense. The decreasing cost should mean more money left over to buy these desirable cars.

Love that gold Z28 shown! A gold T/A would be even better!

Was meant to be light humor. Like with many cars that had several body styles (i.e. 'vette, Mustang), I think the better one’s eyesight is, the less desirable these bodied cars are. :wink:

I bought mine because l want to drive it and show it. Since when is a car a good investment?

1 Like

About 5 years ago I bought a 79 Z28 for my son and I to build. We found a soild almost rust free car still had the original quarters even the ac still on it. Its got a new crate motor rebuilt trans and is a solid driver yet when I placed it for sale at $11,500 (3k under Hagerty average valuation) I have gotten a lot of interest but it seems the money has dried up. No one has cash to spend. There are extremes same car similar condition went for $20k. While others think its a give away item trolling with ridiculous offers that wont get you a rust bucket. Either way I believe there is enough interest in these cars that the value will continue rise over time. Right now for the people who appreciate these rides things are tight financially. Face it when you have to choose to pay the rent or buy a toy. Most will pay the rent.

I could care less about my original, unrestored 1978 Z28 car value. I drive it to car shows and cruise nights because I like it. It is not an investment for me and if and when I have to sell it, I’ll take what I can get for it!

I have a Red 81 Z28 with every option available including gold al wheels, only 18,900 miles. It 100 % original with the sales documents, ( I have the tires and wheels off to the side and did BFG’s and another set of stock wheels) and I drive it a few miles every year. Starts and runs great, except the exhaust is really about ready to go.

Proud owner of a '74 Z/28 Type LT, 4-speed, 3.73 gears and an L82. Bone stock except for headers and flowmaster mufflers. Honestly, I don’t really care what this car does value wise; I drive it for the sheer enjoyment of listening to that SBC and rowing the gears with that factory M21/lift for reverse shifter. Last year before catalytic converters, last year of the flat rear glass, only year of the bodacious Z28 call outs on the hood and trunk, first year of the BIG bumpers and last year of the L82. FUN,FUN,FUN for the money!

I ordered my 1980 Z-28 in October 1979. It was 350, four speed and not a California approved vehicle. There was something about the car had to be delivered before 01/01/1980 to meet the current clean air standards and the opened cold air induction. The car is a Herb Adams stage two car. Still have and enjoy driving it.