Hagerty.com

Nine “American” muscle cars built in Canada

America’s automakers have been shipping muscle cars north into Canada since the original muscle car era of the 1960s, but many have also flowed in the other direction over the years. Canada’s auto industry dates to before the turn of the century, and there were hundreds of small Canadian automakers trying to make it happen before the first World War. Ford even established Ford Canada in 1904, just one year after Ford was founded in the U.S., and the operation quickly began sending cars all over the world, including India and Australia.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/05/15/american-muscle-cars-built-in-canada

So GM and Chrysler had full up assembly plants in Canada. I owned a new '97 Camaro and a new '00 Camaro so this didn’t come as a huge surprise. Does that mean that you consider Nissans or BMWs built in American assembly plants as American cars? Probably not, huh?

Full size Canadian Pontiacs were equipped with Chevrolet suspension and drivetrains…it was not unusual to see a Pontiac Parisienne “Sport” with a 409 engine sitting next to an “imported” Pontiac 2+2 with a 389 tripower…although the cars looked similar the Canadian full size Pontiacs were slightly smaller in most body dimensions and were built on Chevrolet Impala chassis…there were no “wide track Pontiacs” built in Canada…I own a 1970 Pontiac “2+2” convertible equipped originally with the Chevrolet 454…it has Pontiac labeled valve covers…other than that it’s all Chevy…I believe only 5 of these 2+2 454 convertibles were sold…so there were lots of Canadian muscle built and some of it migrated as used cars into the lower 48…YES…these are AMERICAN cars too!

This is a touchy subject that can get people upset, so facts are facts. All automakers spread the job out across borders. You have to take into consideration where manufacturing of parts was done, where materials come from and lastly where it is assembled. Currently Toyota is the most “American” car we have. :roll_eyes:

GM Canada made cars that only were sold at Pontiac Dealers in Canada. Acadians made 1962-1969 and Acadian Beaumonts made 1964-1965 and Then Beaumont made 1966-1969 These were available in the SD (Sport Deluxe) Package and 1966 to 1969 years had a 396 cu in big block available. The Acadia’s shared the Chevy II/Nova sheet metal and the Beaumont’s shared the Chevelle’s. But all models have very different trim. These are very much Muscle Cars.

World history teaches us that Canada is an American country as is Mexico and the USA.

1 Like

My Crown Vic was assembled in Canada…

And yet in Canada, it is far more expensive to buy one of these cars compared to the USA. In fact, a decade ago when our dollar was worth more than the USD, dealerships on the US side of the border were forbidden from selling new cars to Canadian crossborder discount shoppers!

Technically, Canada is a part of America, North America. The states are The United States OF America. So to me Canadian cars are very much American muscle.

2 Likes

I love the Crown Vic Sport. I miss mine. My daughter wrecked it and the insurance company totaled it. If I had it insured through Hagerty it probably would have been fixed.

1 Like

1967 Beaumont SD ‘396’ 4 speed built April 1967 in Oshawa, Ontario
This pic taken at the Canadian Muscle car Display at the Sloan Museum in Flint, MI Summer 2015.

Kid helping to load me out at a lumber yard was actually giving me crap for buying a Nissan truck. Asked him what he drove and then blew his mind when I told him my Nissan provided more American jobs (in Mississippi) than his Chevy did.

Mine is an '02 LX. I bought aftermark copies of the LX Sport wheels. I am very happy with the outcome. I have as much fun with this car as I did with my Mark VIIIs I use to own.

The Canada auto industry expanded and thrived because of content laws that threatened to punish US automakers if they didn’t also build cars north of the border. That’s why so many Canadian plants were built just across from the border from Detroit. Not like Michigan had run out of room, or workers, just another case of bad trade deals for a US that thought it was a self-replenishing “free candy” jar.

I drive an American made Acura CL-S, from tires to tailights. People get downright angry when I tell them my car is more American than their Chevy, Dodge etc. The only imported, pre-assembled part on my Acura was the transmission and it blew out the bottom of the car when it was new.

I’ve owned a Z/28 and Charger that is on this list. Both very reliable cars, I’ll add.
Much more reliable than the 2 Audis I’ve owned.

I drive a 2018 Dodge Charger Hellcat
And I love it.

The 93-94 Firehawks were all converted at Zeke’s Speed Shop, and production moved to a larger facility in winter of 94-95 in order to handle the increased production volume, as the original shop was too small to accommodate all the parts and cars.

The great irony of the Ford F150 Lightning is that they were made in Canada, but not SOLD in Canada. We (Ford workers) made them but couldn’t buy them!

My wife and I own four vehicles.

2019 Toyota Camry XSE~built in Georgetown, KY (Japanese company)

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS~built in Mexico (American company)

2006 Kia Spectra EX~built in Korea (Korean company)

2004 Chevrolet Corvette convertible~built in Bowling Green, KY (American company)

So, yes, auto building these days does cover a lot of countries.