Hagerty.com

Nissan Skyline GTR?

Hey Everyone,
I just wanted to start a topic on the Skyline GTR, they are becoming a big hit in the U.S. these days. I am thinking of actually investing in one and keeping it in the barn for a year or so just to see what it does.
Any thoughts or input would be great.

Shane

Interest does seem to have increased recently in them after reaching the 25 yr old milestone. But I’ve heard so many horror stories on importing them. And the Japanese idea of routine maintenance apparently isn’t the same as ours. Not personally a fan of RHD but if I were to consider one, I’d look for one that’s already stateside. One that I can see in person, hear run and drive. And of course really do my homework on what to look for, and look out for.

@sneedham - I agree with Jim. Importing can be a pain unless you are well connected in the Japanese market. If you are not and are purchasing from a broker, often times you get only select photos and a slim description of the car. What you go to pick up from customs might not match your expectations.

In an odd double standard though, be very wary of buying one in the states. Get ALL the paperwork from the import process. If the seller can’t show you everything from every step of the process- that is not the car for you. A clean Florida title is meaningless.

A middle ground is importing from Canada. It is fairly easy to get north of the US border to personally inspect a car and the process is well documented (Here are some of our tips). The process is a good bit more streamlined than putting a car you’ve never seen on a ship across the ocean.

Thank you for the replies. Their are a couple companies that import only cars and one in particular, “Top Rank”, they seem very solid and have an inventory. Like @ Jim-R said you can drive get all paperwork and have mechanic look at it.
I am thinking about this as more of an investment. Like getting 2 or3 desirable models waiting a year and flipping them. Anyone around that has experience with that chime in and let me know your thoughts and opinions.

@sneedham Check out our Buyer’s Guide! The photo car was actually from Top Rank. If you’re looking for investment-grade, consider tracking down a NISMO model or a V-Spec I as they are more rare. I’m not sure if V-Spec II has turned 25 year but obviously that is appealing as well.

@Mike
LOL, I was right they are called Top Rank, I actually went to a youtube video of theirs about the same time as your post. Yes the Nismo and V-Spec are THE most sought after just wait till the JDM GTR34 hit the heritage mark of 25yrs. I am willing to bet they are going to skyrocket to about 200K in value.

@sneedham Companies that have already completed the import process charge a premium to do so. A cheaper alternative may be to find one in Canada. If I were looking right now, I would go outside of the R32 generation, as the market is flooded with them at the moment. Waiting for an R33(4dr Autech GT-R’s are hella rare) or going earlier and looking for an R31(GT-S or GTS-R) would be a more interesting option.

As with any collector, absolutely buy the best example you can afford. There are more lightly modified cars out there than you can shake a stick at. Cars that are untouched and low km seem to do the best.

Just to throw another idea out there. Any considerations of saving up a little longer and try to get an R34 when they become legal in a few years? By my estimate, the R34 is the one EVERYONE is waiting for. Luckily they’ve been legal in Canada for a while so access might be fairly easy when the time comes.

@Greg_I
I have thought about it but I know myself it would not happen… LOL… If anything I would purchase one and store it overseas. That would only be w/the right contacts
I should also say I do have respect for the Japanese and do not necessarily agree with importing these and other cars from Japan in large quantities. It is driving their local prices sky high from my understanding.
But I believe you are correct when you say it is the R34 everyone is waiting for but the one problem I see is that it will be out of the average to not so average person to buy at that point unless you can get one now and store it in japan for what 2 years?
My keyboard is going crazy it has taken 2 hours to write response as you can tell I have spell checked the first portion so I apologize for the last!!!

@Si_Guy
I believe you are on to something. I also have a very close friend that is Canadian and happens to be moving to Florida. God I am going to get a keyboard right now!!!
Thanks for your input.

I would love to hear if this works out for you!

I will let you know.

As the saying goes… “To make a small fortune in classic cars, start with a big fortune”

@karlkolarsick
That sounds very risky! Please expand on that when you have time.

@Si_Guy
Thank you I have bee researching what you suggested like the R31 and the 1969 Nissan Skyline GTR “Hakosuka”. I hope I ca pull this off ad have some fun as well.

@sneedham I was being facetious… meaning you would loose a big part of your $$$ playing that game. I personally feel classic cars are to be enjoyed daily; if you end up making a few $$, youre doubly blessed!!

I understand…LOL I also know what facetious means which is a good thing.:+1: you are not one that looks at this particular idea :bulb: as an investment. Instead too risky?

Good luck and God bless with your endeavors!!

I’d say that as long as you enter the endeavor with the understanding that there is the possibility that might not make money, that’s fine. Just like with stocks, bonds, real estate, etc, investing in cars involves risk. With cars though, consideration needs to be taken to the extra costs involved of maintenance (even if they’re sitting they should be kept up and detailed), storage costs (rental, heat, power, etc.) and insurance. I’m not saying don’t invest in cars, just approach it as well educated as you can (but I think you’re doing that since you started the thread in the first place).

Keeping all that in mind, the absolute worst investment anyone can make is buying a car you do not like or enjoy. That way if you break even or lose a couple grand, you still owned a car you got a kick out of. You should also consider that even if the plan is to store it, it should still be exercised periodically to keep the engine lubed, keep seals from drying out, and so on. So if a Skyline doesn’t scratch that itch for a fin car, I’d widen your scope. If it does, then jump on it!

@Greg_I
Thank you for the reply and much respect. I will keep you all posted.