Hagerty.com

No Gas to Carburetor after 8 Miles

I can start the car fine. It can idle fine. But when I take it on the road, the car doesn’t get fuel to the carburetor and the car stalls out. I can wait a little while (20 mins), then start it back up, then go a couple miles- -then same thing happens.
I can see in the fuel filter and when it’s running / idling there is gas in there. When it stops working, the fuel filter is empty. As the fuel filter is starting to get lower, the fuel pump tries to push fuel in, but it doesn’t fill up.

I have replaced the fuel pump – but no change.

Any ideas on why the fuel line starves after 10 minutes of road use?

Thanks

@t1mccarthy - Vacuum in the tank(like a clogged gas cap vent) or clogged lines.

I fought this this spring on a Sunbeam Tiger and even bypassed the Lucas pump with a modern facet-style electric but since the supply line from the tank was clogged it was no help.

Are you sure your pickup is riding low enough in the tank? I had a similar issue in my '65 Galaxie after replacing the fuel tank and pickup, and found that I had cocked it a little to the side which would cause a no fuel issue when I still had 1/4 tank. I re-indexed the pickup to where it was riding the bottom and problem solved. I would also check any rubber from the back to the front as a collapsed fuel hose will also cause what you are describing. Especially the after time fuel starvation, then does fine once it sets only to starve again.

I have also had fuel pumps do exactly what you are describing. Although being that yours is relatively new, it wouldn’t be likely but is still not impossible.

Thanks for the reply Guitar74.
This is a new purchase for me so haven’t gone into the tank yet. It was seem odd that it would be that because this has happened from a full tank all the way down to 1/2 tank which is about what it is.
It always seem to have problem after about 20 minutes of engine run time. I replaced the fuel pump but no improvement. After 20-30 minutes of cooling time, it will start again and run for about 2 minutes, then starve again.

I’ll head under the body and see if I have any hose or line issues. I didn’t see any issue near the engine in regards to the fuel line except for a tiny kink that that probably indents about 10% of the gas line.

I would go back to what Kyle said, if the tank is not venting properly the fuel pump will create a vacuum in the tank that the pump can not overcome causing starvation. Check the vent system for clogs, it maybe that the charcoal canister is saturated. If your car doesn’t have a vent system, try replacing the gas cap.

If it really doesn’t matter as far as fuel level then forget the tank and pickup. Any you need any more help/ideas let me know.

That was to mean forget the pickup, don’t forget what Kyle said. E excessive tank vacuum will prohibit fuel flow much like a collapsed rubber line will. I should have been a little more clear.

I picked up a new gas cap and will also replace the vacuum lines tomorrow.
I tried to find a fuel separator because i’m wondering if part of the problem might be the heat of the engine and California summer fuel that has low boiling point.

1 Like

Can the canister be cleaned?
What’s the best way to test for clogs? I was planning on replacing the vent hoses tomorrow to see if that makes a difference.

Replaced the vacuum lines from the crank case and the vacuum (canister) – and also replaced the gas cap.
No luck – cut out after 3 miles / 90 degree temperature outside. Car only ran for 2 minute warmup before heading out.
I also put a hose spacer between the fuel line and the manifold so it gave a little more clearance.

No luck so far. Maybe replace the canister? How can you tell if that’s working?

You can test the canister by disconnecting the line from the tank to the canister and see if that solves your problem. If it does you can blow out the canister with compressed air. You will want to have between 40 and 50 psi and blow through the canister for aprox. 2 min. or until you can feel the air escaping through the canister outlet.

Hey - thanks so much for the feedback. Appreciate your time.

The car sat for 30 years without moving so that’s part of the challenge.

Can I just remove a gas cap to allow venting (for testing) to see if the engine runs for a longer period of time?

Yes, assuming the gas tank is not full to the point of spilling, it is safe to run the engine with teh gas cap off on a vintage car like yours.

Definately sounds like gas vapor lock. This video should help: https://youtu.be/-t6geNGbEXM