Hagerty.com

No more procrastinating: Rescuing my Lotus from the back burner

Back in November, I wrote a series of articles about the seductive trap of the Lotus Europa.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/03/26/lotus-twin-cam-engine-repair

“Enthusiast” - a person who is highly interested in a particular activity or subject.
Maybe you are not quite there yet.

I wanted to own one of these since I was a teen. After reading your articles I will just look for a Miata with a hard top . . .

Could some of the problems come from the fact that Lotus used a “1500” block not the later “1600”?
I believe Lotus used the 1500 block bored out to 1558 cc’s. One winter some years ago I rebuilt an early Elan and a 73 Europa twin cam engines at the same time. Both had the original 1500 cc blocks bored to 1558. The later 1600 block is taller.
Just a thought, possibly the jack shaft if different as well, I am sure Dave Bean could advise.
John

It was common practice to cut the camshaft off behind the centre bearing, plug the oil feed to the (unused) rear cam bearing, and use a low pressure electric fuel pump. (Saves weight!)
Might solve your bent cam binding problem.