Hagerty.com

Not a barn find but still an incredible story

I stumbled across a car that I had once owned new. Through unfortunate circumstances the car was taken back by the bank. 48 years later I have been re-united with that same car, its still has most of the same items that I put on it in 1970, including the license plates! It will be arriving tomorrow, April 16, 2019, and rolled into its new home. 1970 Cougar Eliminator, 428 CJ, 4-speed, Competition Yellow. So I am the original owner…again.

It is here! I sat in it again for the first time since 1971! The cigarette lighter must still have traces of my cigarettes in it from 1970-1971.

1 Like

That is unbelievable what a find once in a lifetime shot at that ever happening,many cars that I had I would luv to find again but have never seen them again,you better buy some lotto tickets because your luck is rite up there,wicked ride, hope you have the finances to do rite by this time capsule i would be damn proud to have that in my garage.R

1 Like

Well, you know the old saying about how to make a $1 million dollars in classic cars? Start with $4 million dollars. I have no illusions about the cost of restoration as I get a lot of personal joy from that (there goes the profit motive). I’m planning on it costing upwards of $60K to complete this project but I’ll still be undervalued for an original owner car (I am both #1 and #4).

I also have friend who is DYING to get into this deal with me and he is a world-class FE and all-around car guru. (He has two 427 Cobras in his garage; one is not enough).

Chuck

1 Like

The only issue with this car is the motor, it is a 428 SCJ instead of a 428 CJ. It was that way when I bought the car new but as a “demonstrator” with 2420 miles on the clock; primarily in 1/4 mile increments. The dealership got tired of replacing CJ engines so went with a SCJ and had it blueprinted and balanced by Iskendarian in LA. At least that’s the way I heard it. I’ll know for sure shortly.

1 Like

Great story Chuck got a laugh out of making money on classic,s yep its a throw money at it ,its personal satisfaction not cost,if it still isnt where you want it to be you just throw more at it.Personally I believe that car is worth every penny you put in it what a feeling it will be on completion day to go out for a rip talk about time travel 48 years WOW to be in the same ride again it would be hard to express the feeling.There will be a get together at your shop that day Epic good luck with the resto hope to see pics.Rob R

Wow! Any pix from way back when???

Great story! Good luck with you car.

OK, Latest update. The rear-end is out of the car as the U-bolts attaching the housing to the leaf springs had loosened through lack of maintenance to allow slipping of the housing. Also, the rubber-sandwiched differential housing to leaf spring coupling allowed the U-Bolts to wear some substantial grooves in the housing. The Traction-Lok is completely worn out. When I popped the 3rd member loose from the housing I only got about 1 1/2 pints of gear oil out, the rest of it was apparently still on the housing helping to keep any dirt from falling to the ground or otherwise escaping. I’ve had the housing dipped and it is much smaller now, More like a 9" Ford should look like.

We did start the engine after it has been sitting for about 25 years. First was new oil, new starter, new carb, new fuel pump, external fuel source (long hose to gas can), new battery, new cables, new starter solenoid. Then Marvel Mystery Oil into each cylinder for about a week, then turning engine by hand followed by removing distributor and exercising oil pump until oil pressure was stable at 70 pounds.

So some carb cleaner down the throat of the carb, crank the motor and it coughed to life once the carb got fuel from the new pump. Smooth idle, nice rumble from the glass-packs, no smoke, no blow-by, 72 pounds of oil pressure and 18 inches of vacuum! Holy cow! The motor is good!

So water into radiator and let it idle until warm. No radiator leaks and NO WATER PUMP LEAKS!!! Still holds pressure. So the odometer reading of 76,000 miles is most likely accurate, even though it was a 1/4 mile at a time.

All for now, stay tuned.

Chuck with “Project Freddy” after all, it IS a Mercury

1 Like

Astounding Chuck thanks for the update, just another amazing chapter in this incredible story.Rob R