Hagerty.com

Nothing bends the rules quite like this Penske fueling tower

Does anyone remember the refueling rig that was under the teams timing stand? II seems that the timing platform rested on a bladder of fuel so the weight of the people in the stand added pressure to the bladder and forced out the fuel.

I also think Smokey’s car was at a NASCAR race, could it have been the 8/10th Chevelle? He also showed up at Riverside with the infamous Camaro that they flat-towed across country (I heard!!!) went out and practiced, set an unofficial lap record by seconds, took off the race tires and put on the tow tires and left. I think Vic Edelbrock bought that car and there are many stories about it! Too bad Vic isn’t around to tell them!

That must be why WW2 piston aircraft used water injection for high altitude performance. The water vapor cools inlet air by evaporating, increases density of the fuel/air charge, and then turns to steam during burn cycle, providing extra pressure and preventing detonation. Drag racers running carbs also use a cool can in the fuel line after the fuel pump. Colder gas cools intake manifold air further, increasing charge density.

@don5 - Thanks for chiming in Don! It was great to meet you at Amelia Island. The Big Rig and display were awesome.

@topside340 - The fuel is pumped from a 55-gallon drum on the ground up to the top barrel. I would imagine in the '60s it was a simple rotary hand pump. I would imagine they kept it topped off so they would be ready to fuel at any point.

When Don was demonstrated at the concours last weekend he was using a small gas-powered water pump to empty the fuel tank back into the top of the Big Rig. It took longer to move the water up than it did to drain it back down!

Does anyone else find it ironic that the fuel rig was transported in a U-Haul rental truck?

1 Like

Hey, Kyle, thanks for that. In retrospect, that’d be the only practical method.

You can bet that it’s quicker using gravity than opposing it !

There is actually a video on youtube with the “cheaters” telling their stories.
search for Racing Around the Rules - How to win… The Unfair Advantage. It’s actually only 20 minutes of a much longer video. I have not been able to find the full video, as the sites they list do not show it.

If you think this refueling rig is great, wait to you see what they did with the restrictor plates on the hemis.

If anyone has a source for the full vid, I’d love to buy it.

I did find more about Penske here https://www.ameliaconcours.org/this-car-matters-videos.aspx

Yes, I’ve seen it; also have a copy of The Unfair Advantage and Smokey Yunick’s autobiography. But those only scratch the surface of racer ingenuity. Also aware of NASCAR’s roomful of “unapproved parts”. Which I’d love to see. There were some creative drag cars in that era as well: lots of work, often for tenths of a second advantage, but clever. Looking into the F.A.S.T. drag cars, the tradition continues…
If you’ve never really looked at Yunick’s Chevelle or Camaro, or photos of Petty’s '68 Road Runner, they were/are VERY creative and entertaining to study.

On a cool moist day you can also run the timing more advanced with less danger of preignition.

Didn’t Smokey Yunick run some thing like 30 or 40 feet of extra fuel line under the car to hold extra fuel to get around the limit on the tank size?

Clever interpretation of the rules or cheating?

How 'bout just racing PURE stock cars bought from dealers with only safety equipment installed? Then NASCAR could live up to its name.

Secondly… How 'bout a totally UNLIMITED class where anything goes… allowing these “clever engineers” or “unruly cheaters” grounds to experiment and expand on their ideas.

Just my .02 lira…

Penske also changed the hubs from 5 lug to 4 lug to speed up tire changes.

Gents…you are missing the point (advantage)…

So Compression of the fluid* is not the issue, however what is?
…the head pressure of the distance of the fluid above the ground… which forced the fluid out of the nozzle at a greater rate if it had been closer to the ground. Thus the tower.

*But anyone who says that liquids are incompressible is incorrect…
Ergo:
gas molecules are farther away than in a liquid,

liquid molecules are also farther away than solid.

If we compress liquid at very high pressure, molecular distance can be reduced,

how much?
Very little, with very high pressure.

Example:
Salt water in the ocean, compressed at 1100 bar, ( at about 14.5 psi per bar) , in the deepest place in ocean, it is compressed to about 5%

I heard that in 2021 NASCAR is changing the name to National Association of Spec Car Auto Racing.

How interesting…

That will surely take entirely ALL the “branding” out of the racing… and I’m old enough to really know better now, anyway. It sure was exciting once way back when, huh!

Tony