Hagerty.com

One more common fault that could sideline your classic

Last year, I wrote about “The Big Six”—the six things most likely to send your vintage car into the breakdown lane: fuel delivery, ignition (particularly in a car with points and a condenser), cooling system, charging system, belts, and ball joints. (There’s also #0, the one so obvious that we don’t include it: a flat tire.)

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/05/28/problems-that-can-sideline-your-classic

What perfect timing for this to appear. I have just begun to recommission a lovely old 1958 Austin Cambrian that seems to been taken out of service after only 8 years of use. You can well imagine the condition of hydraulics that have been unused for nearly all of the intervening 52 years. I say nearly all because the car changed hands twice before I bought it. In the hands of those owners it accumulated about 1200 miles of the 27300 shown now on the odometer. As it stands now the brakes are seized and a lot of the rubber is perished but the body, which had been rust proofed, is perfectly sound if not quite unblemished.

The last owner, from whom I bought it, cleaned the fuel system and optimistically replaced 4 tires before admitting defeat and storing it for about 12 more years. I have cleaned the carburetor again (3 times) and tidied up the ignition to get it running, but not driving. The next step is to replace everything in the brake system and the brand new 11 year old tires. This will get it to the “rolling restoration” stage but who could resist a car that looks so fine.
(Sorry, tried to add a picture but couldn’t make it work on my iPad)

Darrell McDonald

Since my trunk will not hold a modern spare of the same circumference as my tires, it is so nice that my insurance company provides roadside assistance as part of my policy.