Hagerty.com

Our mission is to never stop driving

There is nothing inevitable about the end of driving as we know it. We can preserve this joy for generations to come, but we need to be knowledgeable, we need to be passionate, and we need to get involved. Never Stop Driving, a new book by Hagerty magazine Editor-In-Chief Larry Webster, is intended to foster that anti-autonomous sentiment and reinforce the notion that each of us has a right to guide our own life behind the wheel.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/07/10/our-mission-is-to-never-stop-driving

Three thoughts:

1. We intuitively appreciate the concept of controlling the machine but I think we are lax about describing the joy it brings. Thus the younger generation looks at cars as appliances without that emotional lift they bring us. Thanks for articulating that and putting it into a format that we can pass on to the kids.

2. The idea that a car develops a personality depending on the inputs was brought home to me standing on the inside of turn 3 at the 12 hours of Sebring. There was a Panoz that I was following and sometimes it was visibly faster through the turn 2-3-4-5 complex than others and I mean markedly not just slightly. After looking at a TV monitor I realized that every time it was catching my eye, Sebastien Bordais was the pilote!

3. I have taken an extended trip (more than 2,000 miles) in one of my old cars (1965, '68 or’72) almost every year of the last dozen even though I am now 75. It energizes me for the rest of the year and gives me plenty of stories to tell and memories to enjoy. So, don’t just agree with the message “Never stop driving”…actually go do it!

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more with the last comment “never stop driving…actually go do it”.
It’s about the experience of getting behind the wheel of a classic car and actually driving it. How far is up to you…but from my perspective it just makes the trip so much more enjoyable. Probably because you get to enjoy the car as well as the scenery. The everyday pace just seems to slow down…my two bits anyways. Never stop driving!