Hagerty.com

Overlooked American collectibles of the 1960s

There were so many neat cars to come out of the 1960s, but only a few get to sit atop the collector totem pole. For every 1967 Mustang or Camaro, there’s a 1967 Bonneville that’s just looking for a good home.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/12/11/overlooked-1960s-american-collectibles

How about the forgotten ford falcon futura convertible straight 6. I never see anything one them. It’s not a muscle car but still a nice ride.

Why not the '66 Charger? The beginning of the iconic muscle car from Dodge!ChargerSmall1

Had one.383/325hp(?) HiPo motor, Torqueflite and 3:30 (?) Posi rear. The only thing it did very quickly was go from one gas station to another. After owning Early to late big Ford products with most HiPo FE motors, including a 427 side oiler, that Mopar was the second to the worst ride I ever owned! Sorry, I guess I got spoiled by quality, a nice ride, comfort, performance and lastly reliability. Grumpy

WHAT ABOUT THE 1965 DODGE OR PLYMOUTH 413 OR 426 MAX WEDGE MOTORED CARS. THOSE COMBINED SPEED AND SOME COMFORT. I HAVE ONE NOW, I love it !

The '66 Olds Toronado should get an honorable mention. Not too many minty originals around. They are in a class of their own. I know of a local sweet original (paint as well) with around 55K miles for $22K or offer. I’d jump on it if I was in the market. Their book value is fairly high, but folks don’t seem to open their wallets that wide for them.

The 1961, 1962, 1963-12 Ford Galaxies and the 1964s were good cars and ones in driver to top condition are worth a few bucks now. Specially the HP 390’s, 406’s and the 427’s. I have a 1963-1/2 with 390 auto, ps, pb, vinyl top, bumperettes (guards) with the spinner hubcaps. Excellent cruiser. Owned now for 31 plus years. With age catching up on me prefer the auto tranny now. Bought one brand new in July of 1963, owned it for four years. 352, 3 on the tree, no ps or pb. Didn’t need those extras in my youth…LOL

How hard is it to find parts for these vehicles?

There are many overlooked cars of the 60’s, especially the 61-63 Little Indians of Pontiac. Cars with a transaxle in the rear, engine in the front. We have a club just for these unique cars; www.littleindians.com

Hey, what about the 1968 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu Sport? Only 100 built and only in 1968. Built in the Tanawanga plant in Baltimore, Md. The car came with bucket seats, center consul, and A shifter. Sweet looking car and even sweeter ride. Considered very hot rise and all but one (according to GM) has been modified.
Rare model to start with, even rarer now, classic look.

How about the 63 Olds Jet Fire? It had some cool advanced tech with a 215 hp turbo charged aluminum 215 ci V/8 or the Chevelle 400s from 70 to 72. SS 396 performance in a plain brown wrapper!

In my youth I owned a 1963 Olds Super 88 Holiday 4-door hardtop. As a typical mid-western youth, I beat the crap out of it. Many a lesser vehicle suffered defeat (including some that should have been its equal, such as a 1963 Pontiac Bonneville with the mighty 389). Now as I have spent time attempting to find a similar vehicle, I am learning just how rare that car was.

I had a 1968 Ford Galaxie 500. Candy Apple Red, Black convertible top. 390 ci.
What a beauty!!

I appreciate the responses, but these cars mentioned are not overlooked collectibles:

• Falcon Futura
  • 1966-67 Dodge Charger
  • Max Wedge Mopars
  • Toronado
  • Galaxies
  • Olds Jetfire

The purpose of the article was to show cars that offer something that would be appreciated in a collectible, yet aren’t often hunted down by collectors. All the above cars have some recognition or more in the hobby, so they didn’t quality. I think the 1961-63 Tempest suggestion comes closest, but still not at the level of the cars in the article. Think of them as the automotive equivalent of a “lost classic” song.

Regarding the 1968 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu Sport, according to this site, there was WAY more than 100 built:

http://chevellestuff.net/1968/options_by_cost.htm

In the catalog, there’s nothing suggesting it came with buckets and console standard:

Even the SS didn’t come with those features standard. In fact, the brochure points out buckets were only available with sports coupes and convertibles:

I know brochures are not the end-all of factual information, but I have doubts on this “1 of 100” Chevy.

Regarding a 402 Chevelle, you can read about it here:

5 great alternatives to high-priced muscle cars.

I love that car. But it’s not an overlooked collectible of the 60’s.

To me, a rare car is not always the 1 in 100,000 with a certain special options list. It might be cool to have a non-SS Chevelle or Camaro with a unique features/options set, but in the public eye, what’s passing you on the street is another Chevelle or Camaro. What interests me are those unique cars that were a styling quirk or marketing miss that can be better appreciated 50 years later. One in particular that interests me is the 1964 and 1965 Chevelle 2-door wagons. Most people have never even seen these. They were typically bargain basement utility vehicles sold for business purposes, as most families would opt for the easier ingress and egress of the 4-door wagon. That some ended up doing dragstrip duty just makes for a better story.

Most times the “rare” cars become so because they’re on the high-end of the new car spectrum. Those that feature so many costly options on an already expensive luxury car that means relatively few were sold. Some of the old Buicks, Oldsmobiles, Chryslers and Lincolns might fall into this category. Also, they weren’t treated with such reverence as their sporting muscle-car brothers and weren’t as often scooped up and saved. These are the kinds of cars that interest me, particularly when nowadays going to a classic car show means passing by rows and rows of Mustangs and Camaros.

Again with your '66? Take a break. Please.

Almost ANY car from the 60s is collectible now. Just has to be in good condition to get noticed. My 63 Rambler Classic wagon gets more attention than my brother’s 64 Mustang coupe when we’re together, much to his consternation! There just aren’t many Ramblers around. I like the odder stuff like the little transaxle Ponchos and the other Y body cars… but I like pretty much all the 60s compacts. Many were considered mid size then, those would be full size now… or very near full size! I can still appreciate the big boats, just don’t really want one.

Rare doesn’t mean valuable though. My Rambler is much rarer than his Mustang, but the Mustang would sell fast for at least a third more than what my (resto-modded) Rambler would. Restored back to full stock my Rambler is worth a third (or more!) less than it is resto-modded with a modern EFI engine (AMC/Jeep 4.0L)!! His Mustang isn’t stock, it has a newer model 302 and AOD trans, but other than that it’s pretty much stock. Still has a carb, so it looks about like a V-8 Mustang should under the hood, so only a true collector would are that it one had a six and three speed in the floor. Probably worth more and an easier sell converted to the period looking V-8.

My '68 Skylark Custom convertible is not really collectable, but a great example of an affordable and fun cruiser. Bought it for $2,500 25 years ago.20150327_142233|690x388

Definitely another forgotten one!