Hagerty.com

Own the 1987 Buick GNX that starred in “Jay Leno’s Garage”

Still kicking yourself for not buying the 8.5-mile Buick GNX early last year? Are you just now making peace with yourself for not jumping on the incredible 26-mile Grand National that surfaced in November of 2018? Or the twins that both showed less than 1000 miles when we covered them last year? Are you, like us, wondering if anyone actually drives these late-80s Buicks?

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2020/01/16/1987-buick-gnx-starred-in-jay-lenos-garage
1 Like

I would “drive the bolts off it” as you say. Not a big fan of the pickled collector mentality.

I also really wish this kind of roofline would return…

Well, it didn’t meet reserve at 150K. It’s hard for me to understand how adding some mileage would reduce the value of these cars much. If you put 2000 miles a year on it for the next 10 years, it would still only have 20,000 miles on it and be 10 years older, almost a 45 year old car. Get it out and let it be seen and run.

@teutonicscot - That is the weird part about GNX and Grand Nationals though, there are so many with extremely limited miles. It is sad really.

2 Likes

Kyle, I agree, it is sad. I remember seeing a couple of these around when they first came out back in the late 80’s. Cool cars that are still very interesting.
I think there is a mentality that exists among some people that when they hear that a given car is going to be “limited production”, they buy them up and squirrel them away hoping it becomes the next big $ collectible. It seems to have worked that way in the case of the GNX and Grand National, although at other times, maybe not so much as in the case of the 1976 Eldorado being the “last American convertible”, which has certainly risen in value, but not to the level of these Buick’s or to the level that many anticipated they would, I expect.
In any event, it certainly wouldn’t hurt to have driven them a little in either case. I have my cars, both dailies and those that are the fun cars (the Hagerty insured) for the purpose of using them, not as museum pieces, but your mileage may vary.