Hagerty.com

Peace Vans Seattle is a shop worth the trip, even if the drive starts in Alabama

It isn’t often that someone plans a family road trip from Alabama to Seattle just to drop off their Volkswagen camper van for a makeover at a shop, but that’s an extraordinary testament to the extraordinary work being done at Peace Vans. Naturally, the place has an extraordinary backstory too.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/04/16/peace-vans-seattle-shop-worth-the-trip

This could be worth a trip to the West Coast from Michigan. Here’s a math question for you: If you’re traveling in a 84 Westy that goes 60 mph and decelerates when going uphill, how long will it take to get to Peace Vans from N. Michigan?

With or without a tail wind?

I learned to drive in a VW when I was 12. I’ve owned about 80 including 3 Karman Ghias, several vans & lots of bugs & buggies. So glad to see a shop like yours. I lived on the coast for 30 years but now live in the frozen east of Canada where VW’s are rare. All I can say is “keep’em alive”!!

I once “screamed” down a hill one time in a '60 bug at 80mph. It was fun at 16 years old but would be scary now…

@ HappyCamper

I think I’d take the southern route, a little longer but less mountains.

Have a safe trip!

The old VW vans and Beetles were always very susceptible to wind shear. Driving one in heavy winds is good experience for pilots in training.

Nice! I’ve only seen most of that country out of an airplane window. It’d be nice to see it from the road, instead.

I have a 85 Vanagon that I am about to restore and I am in need of interior door panels. 10 years ago I could have gotten the correct ones on ebay. Now I can’t find them anywhere.

Road trips, short ones or long ones, are great!
Recently I’ve been to Tucson AZ, Lake Tahoe NV, a few trips to Denver CO, a couple through a blizzard, San Francisco a couple of times.

Get out there and go!

@HappyCamper - if you do it right, the trip (and the uphill climbs) should last a really, really long time, defying all known laws of physics.