Hagerty.com

Pontiac Fiero Question

@ColinComer I heard you bought a Fiero. Why? And I mean that in a genuine sense. What was the rationale, what attracted you to that car, and what do you plan to do with it? Thanks!

Hi Mike,

You are correct, I did, inexplicably, leave Barrett-Jackson last week with a 1988 Fiero GT. And “why?” is a fantastic question! It was not pre-meditated I assure you, but I have been watching Fieros in the collector car market for a little while, most likely because they seem like a lot of fun for the money and 1980s “fun” cars in general are on the move. I also remember when the Fiero was introduced for the 1984 model year and, at least on paper and to a 13 year old, they were pretty exciting. Of course their many faults and flawed execution is well-documented now, but many of us also remember, like the Corvair, that GM finally got them right moments before they killed the model. And for the Fiero that means the 1988 model year when the suspension and steering were actually decent and the 2.8L of the Formula and GT lively enough, especially when mated to the 5 speed manual transmission.

And that’s the car I bought- a 1988 GT (V6) with a 5-speed. It is red, has 47,000 miles, cold air conditioning, is in pretty darn nice condition, and sold early on Monday at no reserve. Again, while I had no plans to buy a Fiero this (or any) week, when this one crossed the stage and fell short I couldn’t resist buying it for $4,200, which is $4,620.00 all-in, and far below what I’ve seen similar Fieros sell for at other auctions lately. It came with all of its original books and a good box of paperwork as well. Checking eBay I’ve noticed similar low-mileage 1988 GTs for sale in the high teens through $35k- an asking price that I have to admit took me by surprise. Of course, given a choice, I would have rather bought the yellow 1988 Formula that I wanted back then, but, I’m not going to complain about a red GT, either.

Now, as to your question about my plan for this accidental purchase, the answer is that I don’t have one. I’ll check it over mechanically and drive it around a bit, maybe even pretend it is 1988 and I’m a high-school kid with a new Fiero instead of the rusty MGB I was driving when this car was new. After that, either sell it on or perhaps put it in the Hagerty Drive Share fleet so others can get their Fiero fix as well. The good news is no matter what I don’t think there is any downside. Plus, dollar for dollar, I think it’d be hard to find more fun for the money. And isn’t it these kinds of experiences what car collecting is all about?

Thanks for the question.

Sincerely,

Colin

As a recovering Fiero owner (7 years clean) I have to say that’s still tempting at that price. Also the average Hagerty value is 50% higher than what you paid. Which means you can always post an “I know what I have” Craiglist ad if you need to unload it.