Hagerty.com

Proposed bill in Illinois would raise EV registration to $1000 a year

Electric vehicle owners and manufacturers are not happy about proposed legislation in Illinois that would raise registration fees on electrically powered light vehicles from just $17.50 to $1000 a year.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/05/13/proposed-bill-raise-ev-registration-1k-year

They recently changed it here, in Indiana as well. from whatever it was to a $150 surcharge.

However; if your vehicle didn’t initially SHIP as an EV, then you aren’t on the hook to pay this EV tax.

I know, I know, $150 isn’t $1000 but it still is I believe, a sizable amount.

Kyle

Here’s the real math:
Illinois owners of conventional gas-powered cars actually will pay 62.4 cents a gallon in state and federal highway taxes on a gallon of gas under the proposal. On top of that, they will pay an annual registration fee of $148.00 per gasoline car. Ergo, an EV owner only has to drive 30,038 miles a year to pay the same per mile highway taxes as a typical driver does. That suggests they’re probably over-paying by about $425 a year, but they didn’t have any problem with making other taxpayers buy their cars so tough. Sure it will be hard on people who’ve adjusted to suckling at the public teat. That’s a feature.

1 Like

The part of this that bothers me, other than the seemingly random amount of $1,000 that does seem far too excessive, is the hypocrisy and shortsightedness of this fee (and similar fees popping up in other states). One one hand we have a desire as a nation to reduce oil consumption and greenhouse gas emissions, so we give tax benefits and, in some states HOV lane access, for hybrids and electric cars to incentivize people to buy them. Now, on the other hand many states want to charge them excessive fees to make up for the theoretical loss of gas taxes (though these owners already pay taxes on the electricity they use to charge these cars). We need to make up our minds around a reasonable and consistent strategy… I know, that’s asking a lot.

Add to this the absurd toll fees that Illinois residents and visitors have to pay to travel on interstate highways. Where is all of that money going if not to fix those roads?

1 Like

You’re assuming that everyone is still on board with the twelve year doomsday event horizon that has been a central belief of misanthropic voters since Paul Ehrlich determined it was the right timespan to terrify the gullible without ever having to deliver on a prediction in 1968. There are plenty of people who actually have an eye on our electricity supply, child slavery associated with battery material mining, wind and solar being the worst blight on wildlife ever in the name of electricity, lithium scarcity that will continue to make EVs luxuries, the inability of anyone to sell an EV at a profit that doesn’t have to be taken from taxpayers and competitors at the end of a gun, etc…ad infinitum. If enough states can send EVs back to the scrap heap of Victorian era history where they belong, the world will be a better place.

Georgia charges about $250 I think with the “special tag fee” and the “alternative fuel tax” for not just EV, but also plug-in hybrids and anything else that can run on non-petroleum base fuel. Not sure who came up with the amount and I think the AFT is adjusted based on the average fuel cost for the year or something like that.