Hagerty.com

Proving the Bullitt Mustang’s authenticity

By late October in 1966 Steve McQueen had Hollywood on a string. His company, Solar Productions, inked a six-film deal with Warner Bros., and McQueen was now in the driver’s seat, hired to produce and star in his own films. He and director Peter Yates were intent on bringing real, almost documentary-like action to the screen, and they succeeded with Solar’s first film, Bullitt.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/01/14/authenticating-the-bullitt-mustang

Wow…I have had a “thing” about Bullit and that Mustang since I was kid and saw the Movie! This is amazing and awesome that the family took care of that car for all these years and preserved a piece of history - looking forward to the full documentary! :slight_smile:

I always wondered, why does McQueen double-clutch all his upshifts? I understand double-clutching downshifts, and upshifts in ancient transmissions of pre-modern design. If you’re trying to catch someone, it seems like it you lose a valuable second or two every shift.

Just wanted to mention that I noticed that the rocker trim in the most recent photos of the Bullit are clean stainless. If you look closely at the film images you’ll notice that the rocker trim was painted out to match the rest of the car. When McQueen is reversing after over shooting the corner you can see scuffs in it where the paint has come off below the door.

The car was refurbished by WB before being sold. Several things were redone on the car including replacing the bright trim work replacing the grill and putting the antenna back into position. The second owner documented this by taking photos of the car.

More history from the outside here. http://www.bradbowling.com/jan-14-18-bullitt-mustang-discovery/

My dad was a Ford dealer in the late 60’s, then 70’s and 80’s. I got my license in '74, just in time for the Mustang II debut, my first car, so I missed the muscle car era for a daily driver. He did take in trade a six year old '69 Mach I with the 390, 4-speed set up. They put it through the shop, then the front line. It was a well cared for car.

My sister’s boyfriend wanted to buy it, so I took him out for a test drive. That car screamed, loud, fast, spinning tires, burning rubber like crazy. My dad declined to sell the car to sissy’s BF.

I assume that it goes without saying that Hagerty will keep us informed as the Bullit story goes forward. Appearances? Restorations of missing or modified parts? Ownership changes? Permanent home? etc.
Thanks for this great story. Good Luck in ever finding a better one.