Hagerty.com

Question of the Week: Do you want your sports car as a coupe or convertible?

Coupe Yes Mustang fast Back .Convertible no , Roadster yes , Miata , Cobra , Those are ok .

It’s a convertible for me, whether a targa or ragtop. My experience comes from my two Fiat X1/9s or my current Pontiac Solstice. I really like not having the rear window, but the X1/9 was just fine, not to mention that it would be safer in a roll-over.

Great discussion, but ultimately I agree with you. I’ve owned both. The Boxster even had the optional hardtop. But, the fastback Cayman is the better looking car.

Miata is always the answer! Removable hard tops can be had and later ones have a power-retractable hard top. And unlike many classic convertibles, they’re reliable!

1 Like

If the t-tops or targa configurations could provide the same open-air experience as a soft-top convertible then I would give them further consideration. The soft-top is not without it’s downsides so I can understand why others might not want to go this route. I wouldn’t want a soft-top on my daily driver, but for me when it comes to a sports car the positives of the soft-top outweigh the negatives.

Ferdinand Porsche believed the essence of a sports car was topless. Ferry felt the same. That’s why Porsche took special pride in engineering convertible tops for their cars that were for years the envy of the automotive world. My favorite rag top is my 89 Turbo Cabriolet. The last, air-cooled, turbocharged convertible Porsche ever made, and the only one with a 5 speed, the bullet proof G 50.50 transmission. Of course, Porsche invented the synchromesh transmission back in 52. Every car before that was a “crash box”. When it looked like the U.S. might outlaw convertibles in the late 60’s, it was enough for Butzi Porsche to design the famous Targa design, an open roof with a built in roll bar for safety and protection. I also love my Targas!

1 Like

I’ve enjoyed reading all the comments about this topic. I have had mostly convertibles and have to say that there is nothing like driving the two lane back roads of Kentucky in the afternoon in a drop top. I would love to meet all you good folks at a hole in the wall stop somewhere in the US and just swap stories. I appreciate everybody who drives for fun and enjoys the road and scenes of the HWY. John C

1 Like

I’m with ya! I burn way too easily, and I’ve known people with skin cancer. Coupes for me!

Coupes for me…chassis rigidity is everything. Personally I’ve always enjoyed proper English and Italian roadsters (owned a number of both)…but only pre1973, true ‘wind-in-the-face’ cars.

There’s nothing like the feeling of driving my 66 mustang with the top down and the sun burning my retinas out when it reaches that point just a hair above the top of the fully extended visors. But there’s also the ‘stance’ factor. A first gen Camaro just looks more badass with a hardtop.

Coupe is the only way. 65 mustang fastback V8 4, 5, or 6 speed manual transmission

Nothing like open air driving. With that said a Targa (Porsche or Vette) or a coupe/convertible (M-B SL) is my choice.

I think the wind in my hair and getting a little sunburned is part of the experience. I have a 2nd gen Miata and even on a chilly fall day, driving the twisty roads of upstate NY is a joy. I blast the heat on my feet with the top and windows down. I driven far faster cars and better preforming cars, but for the simple pleasure of driving a Miata is hard to beat.

Past ownership of ragtop and coupe 60s, 70s & 80s Mustangs, 70s MB sedan, 70s Triumph TR6 with hardtop, 90s-2006 E34 E39 M5 sedans, E46 M3 ZCP coupe and vert.

E46 M3 Convertible with 6 speed is hard to beat. 333hp normally aspirated in-line 6, 4 seats and enough trunk to go away for a week with a top that goes up or down in less than 25 seconds. A little slower than ZCP due to weight gain, but open air driving is worth it. Again, sports car not track.