Hagerty.com

Question of the Week: How would you write this for sale ad?

It’s become quite easy to sell a car in modern times—almost too easy. Still, there is a proliferation of listings that lack information or detail. Amidst the garbage there is still plenty of good ads out there that include everything a seller wants, but you might have to set aside some time to suss out the good from the bad.

Hagerty Barn Find Hunter, Tom Cotter, has a knack for finding vintage iron without the help of search engines or online ad aggregators. But you can only imagine how many of the cars he finds would be gone in an instant if the seller only knew how to market it with the right ad description.

When Tom scoured South Carolina for an episode of Barn Find Hunter, this Austin Healey 3000 was one of many cars he saw there. It looks to be fairly worse for wear, but to the right buyer it certainly has some potential.

Photo credit Hagerty/Ben Woodworth

If you were writing the cheeky Craigslist ad for this Healey, how would you craft it?

Ran when parked, perfect father/son project…

This reminds me of a sheet that we used to pass around at car club meetings called “How to interpret Hemming’s ads…” and one column was full of the usual lines like “Easy Restoration” and the other column had the interpretation…

The few that I can remember:

“Easy Restoration” means “It’s so rusty that parts will fall off in your hand”
“Rare classic” means “No one wanted them when they were new either!”
“Good roller” means " “If you live at the top of a very steep hill”
“Easy to find parts for this project!” means “The others are all in the junkyard where this one should be!”

If I think of more I’ll post them. (That IS a pretty cool car, although I know NOTHING about Healey’s!)

Drove to this spot, could be running with just a little work. I don’t have the time, too many other projects.

Interpretation- It broke down right here. Replace something and I bet it works again. I bet whatever broke is going to be a pain or expensive, so I’m not doing it.

So much potential with some love and attention!

Implicitly - lots of money won’t hurt either!

Bit rough around the edges but nothing a bit of TLC and passion for the marque won’t cure!

1969 Austin. Psrked 8 years ago, do to clutch failure. I,purchased the parts, then became ill.
Perfect. Restoration for the right guy…
1 owner, 52k has serface rust, floors solid as a rock. Left fender has hole. Buy a new one, they are available. Interior Needs a clean up. But in
Great shape. . overall the picture makes it look worse than it is. Call me at 555 1212. Only asking. 1500.00…

Quart water bottle for sale, $20000.00, and take Austin Healey for free. Must be sold together.

This is of course a bit of a loaded question. Totally depends on the value of the car in that condition. Super rare? “xxx in as-is condition, SN 1 of 2” etc. But,regardless of potential price, “Exceptional potential for a class-winning car. Huge upside potential”. Of course, unless it’s super-rare, any of us with a clue would interpret that as “this is a pile of junk, have fun”.

It’s a British thing…buy it now before it disappear!

Classic Austin-Healey in the range of 1964 BJ7 to 1967 BJ8. Restorable condition with no rust on aluminum shrouds. Frame should be examined by a professional, although oil drippings typically create a rust preventive covering. Tires still have some tread and air. All rodents have been evicted. Ready to place on trailer for ride home. When you get to it, please re-mount the side spears to face the correct way. Contact Mike Lempert for steering wheel restoration.

The legendary english electrical problems should be the easiest part of this restoration. Will be easy to rewire the entire car through the numerous access holes created by mother nature. The lighter weight due to these holes where sheet metal used to be should also provide for more lively acceleration when the drive train is completed.

One of a kind … Original owner … Beauty, only 10 miles on the speedo ! A bargain at 250,000 US !

I was only “playing” !

When I was an independent auto damage appraiser and I would see a car like this, the owner would invariably say “I was in the process of restoring it.” And I would look at the car and see that the paint was bad, the body worse, the chrome rusty, the interior in threads and the engine covered with so much grime you couldn’t see the engine (i.e. - on a 5 point scale, a 2). And the owner would then set a value on the car based on a completely restored car.

I think this “vintage” was SS … no chrome

No SS, all trim chromed.

Just Needs a Deep Cleaning…

Well I apologise … Did not know I was talking(typing) to an expert … just kidding. Thank You

A rare and exquisite British classic available at a fraction of its value! (Twice its value after restoration.)