Hagerty.com

Question of the Week: Show us the coolest scale-model car

Model cars give enthusiasts of every tax bracket a chance to own their dream car, and even some cars that don’t exist on the streets. Do you have a scale model that you’ve built or one that you’re going to build that is just too cool for school? Tell us about it in the Hagerty Forums.

Some car lovers got their start on small engines or helping an adult by passing tools and holding the light, others started in the endlessly deep world of modeling. A bunch of us never grew out of it and still spend time scaling down our favorite rides to seemingly endless levels of detail.

(Photo Kyle Smith/Hagerty)

Whether an AMT classic in a box, or a home-grown, fabricated from scratch unit, show or tell us the best scale models you’ve found over the years. We will highlight the favorites of the responses in next week’s Answer of the Week article.

1 Like

So many cool kits from the 60s. I’ll let others post theirs and keep my post to one I actually had as a kid (much later than the 60s as they kept it in production for decades):

1 Like

Several days and no replies so I’m posting a few more:

Several of these in my family (all long boxes or flat decks), it was the kit that made me appreciate the step sides. pic from: oldmodelkits.com image

I traded a friend for the finished (and not seen in stores for years)

pic from: eBay

My dad was (and is) into 64 Impalas and this is the exact era of kit that we did multiples of when I was a kid to test out paint jobs on. pic from: gasoline alley antiques image

I’m surprised this isn’t a heavily posted thread with things like the Ed Roth stuff. That was decades before my time, but I got a newer version of the Rat Fink model kit one Christmas. My mother thought it was the ugliest thing… I kept it long after I had stopped doing model cars. pic from: Amazon

It’s funny, I have young kids now and have been thinking lately about when I can get them into building model cars and then this topic comes along. I hadn’t thought of some of these kits in years.

1 Like

Definitely the Predicta. It included a TV in the center of the dash to enjoy one’s favorite programs while on the road, and instead of a steering wheel it had a lever in the center console to push back and forth. Of course I don’t recall if pushing it forward turned the car left or right, but it did work! And presumably it had a super-high-powered AC system to deal with the sunshine through the bubble top.

2 Likes

Absolutely. The Ala Kart model in this kit (first picture). I remember building it on the dining room table as a kid circa 1961 maybe. The models disappeared with many others over time, but a couple of years ago I found the Franklin Mint version (second picture) on eBay and that one now resides in my car models cabinet.

Ala Kart_AMT_George Barris

3 Likes

I started building model kits when I was about ten years old and continued until I bought my first real car at age 14. Thanks to a couple of barrister bookcases,I still have all of them,plus quite a few diecast.The picture shows just a few of my favorites.

4 Likes

I have built hundreds of model cars, maybe even thousands, but my two favorites are the 1964 Mercury Comet that was in the East Africa Safari Rally, and the replica of my 1:1 1969 Corvair Monza coupe.

3 Likes

My first model car was this Uncertain T. I built many Monogram, AMT and even a couple Revell, but I didn’t like the way that the parts didn’t fit in a Revell. Monogram had the best tires. The last one I built was a 72 Chevelle (new). I still have little bottles of Testor paint, one with a 15 cent price tag and one with a 19 cent price tag. The models cost $2 each. They sell today for $25, which, given inflation, is about the same price.

3 Likes

Yep. I built this one, too. And Boot Hill Express.

1 Like

I’m in the process of cleaning the shelf and dusting. I have owned every one of these cars and painted the models to match their real life counterparts. I only have the Miata in 1:1 scale now.

Looking for a Scion xA in blue and a Toyota Sienna in grey or blueish grey. Also had but am missing now a gen 1 Plymouth Barracuda, Front drive Buick Skyhawk, and maybe an H Body Buick Electra.

I have built a bunch of models, but these are the most special to me because I had the 1:1 versions of these.

2 Likes

Like many of us have already stated, I spent many hours building Monogram and Revell models when I was a kid, using my grass cutting money to buy those kits (Plus the Model Motoring HO slot cars).
This article sparked so many fond memories of ill-fitting chrome parts, runny Testors paint and the inevitable glue smears on the windshields.
I just ran downstairs and snapped a photo of the “BADMAN” 55 Chevy I made about 50 years ago as it sits in a display case.

3 Likes

This could use some detailing.

4 Likes

998221_409181012524860_1099540425_n

3 Likes

In my closet, a 1/8 scale Jaguar XKE coupe, still in the box, and a 1/8 scale Chevy V-8 (also in the box) that I intended to build as a swappable engine for that Jag. One of these days…

the 2 best models that come to mind first were both Jo-han. These were very detailed and I believe factory sponsored because they were usually obscure vehicles.
First one was the Chrysler Turbine car.
Second one was a 1960 Plymouth Fury Police Wagon

2 Likes

On my to-do list - closest thing I could find to the ‘65 model I had in college

2 Likes

I’m still building, in my retirement, the model cars that I couldn’t afford to back in the '60’s! Bigger scale slot cars were also out of reach when I was a kid, so now I often combine model kits with slot car technology so that I can actually drive them; seeing the model cars moving throughout the dioramas at the '64 New York World’s Fair was a big influence as well. I love everything from the Ed Roth and Tom Daniels hot rods and customs, to vintage classics, to sports cars and European race cars. All as cool as their 1:1 scale counterparts, and way more accessible!

2 Likes

I’ve had both of these models for many years. One of these days they will get built

2 Likes

Those are both very rare and valuable kits. The “1980” mid-engine Corvette is especially ironic, since it only took GM 40 years to actually produce one.

1 Like