Hagerty.com

Question of the Week: Show us the coolest scale-model car

Wrong photo, this one is a 1956 Mercury police car modified to a Crown Victoria. I’ll try again later with the Crestliners.

I’ll try the Crestliner again.

1 Like

That Falcon was Pete Brock’s personal daily driver.

Just saw the tribute Uncertain T displayed at the Detroit Autorama. Built in New Zealand by Martin Brundle, and has just completed an auto show tour of the US. The Monogram Uncertain T kit was a favorite that was never re-issued. Original unbuilt kits are now selling on eBay in the $300 range!

2 Likes

Here is a 1972 photo of a collection of some of the models I built as a teenager. Needless to say I was (am) a Chevy man. Left to right, AMT stock 57’ Chevy based on my real life car at the time, Revell 57’ Nomad, AMT 55’ Nomad, AMT 57’ Chevy “Pepper Shaker”, AMT stock 57’.

1 Like

Here are a couple of my 1/10th scale RC formula one cars. Lotus 98T and Lotus 102B.

2 Likes

I have a lot of favorites saved from the sixties. It´s hard to choose, but if I have to pic only one, it´s Little Coffin. It´s The Extra All Custom Car. So many nice memories!DSC04189x

1 Like

Check out the amazing models that I photographed at the Wayne, NJ show: https://bringatrailer.com/2019/05/06/bat-event-coverage-nameless-national-luminaries/

I have been an avid modeler since… well, forever. I started with 1:24 scale kits in the '60s, modifying, swapping engines etc. Later, I decided to focus on my favorite marque - MG. It has become a goal to collect each model that MG produced from the 1920s to present. I quickly realized that to squeeze all of that in to my available space, I would need to switch to a smaller scale, and have focussed on 1:43 white metal kits since about 1994. The “coolest” kit I have run across was by Southeastern Finecast - a 1:24th metal version of a 1933 MG K-3 that I built for a member of my local car club. This kit came complete with wire wheels that needed to be individually laced (a very interesting task!)

I now have a collection of some 150 MGs in 1:43rd scale and representing about 80% of the cars the MG Car Company has produced, including the early racers and speed record cars.

I built about 2/3 of these from kits, the remainder were purchased as completed models. Many of these are now quite rare, and many are from companies that have now sadly ceased to exist. 1:43 was never that popular in the states, so the vast majority of the kits are from either the UK or from France with the occasional Dutch, German and even Russian input…

2 Likes

Here are a couple of photos that you might like. Only have the box for the Monza. The car is MIA. Have the Porsche but not the box. The headless horseman is driving the Ferrari.

2 Likes

But at least his hands are where they’re suppose to be…9:00 and 3:00. :+1:

Right on! Might be one of those self driving cars or a hybrid that requires minimum amount of input from the driver.

Scored a vintage Chaparral 2E kit a couple years ago, one of my all time favorite race cars.

1 Like

I like this one. 1936 Bugatti 57SC Atlantic ‘La Voiture Noire’

Bought when new and never assembled.

1 Like

The American Pickers guys would go nuts over some of the kits people are posting in this thread —unbuilt in original boxes.

1 Like

I’m 57, I remember riding my bike to 7-11 every allowance day. They had a very small toy section in those days 1970ish with balsa airplane’s and revell models. Airplanes and hot rods. These pics bring a rush of memories back👌

I build AFV’s when I have time. I am collecting models of each of the Porsche s I own or have owned.

Two toys!
Two projects.

1 Like

This is my favorite model I built a long time ago. It’s a 1/25 scale version of the 1965 Ford Galaxie stock car my brother raced back in the 1970’s on the local dirt tracks.

The only parts used from the original Galaxie kit was the body and the bottom part of the chassis/frame. The engine came from a 1966 Mercury kit to match the engine in the real car, along with wheels and tires from a dirt modified race car model. The roll cage was custom built to match the real car, as was everything else, including throttle linkage, electrical, fuel, and brake lines. The body is had lettered and is removable so the interior details are easier to see.

1 Like