Hagerty.com

Question of the Week: Show us your favorite badges

The name of a car model is important, but the badge displaying it can give the name the attitude the designer intends. From font to material to color, a badge has a lot going on that often goes underappreciated. This week we ask you to tell us which badge got it right.

A simple script or a fun graphic on the front grille of a car can provide a lens through which we view the rest of the car. Does it commemorate history, revive a symbol, or show a little tongue-in-cheek humor? Going all the way back to the humble beginnings of the automobile, few cars have been produced with no exterior badging. More likely, there’s some small touch of flair that, on first impression, occupies your brainspace as much as the shape of the tail lights. But the small things make big impressions, and we’re in the business of giving the cars we love a much closer look.

So show us in the comments below the badge that got it right. Simple script? Stylized cartoon? No wrong answers in this poll.

1 Like

This is it.

The tidiness of the traditional VW option emblem “Automatic” (some sort of underlined helvetica) with the irreverence of an ancestor of comic sans proudly proclaiming “Stick Shift”

4 Likes

Mine would be the Volvo Prancing Moose by Dave Barton…

PrancingMoose.com

Dave’s story about how the Prancing Moose came to be:

“When the XC90 debuted in 2003, Volvo was busy organizing a number of test drive events, where quite a few Volvo fans (including me) came out to see and test-drive the new SUVs on fast cone slalom courses. Volvo was showing off their new and advanced Dynamic Stability Traction Control (DSTC), a first of its kind for an SUV. Most courses allowed us to drive the cars by ourselves as many times as we wanted. Lots of good fun. One of the courses was a special slalom, where a professional driver would take a carload of folks in the new SUV, accelerate quickly to about 60 mph, and while keeping his foot firmly planted on the gas… to the floor, he would then crank the wheel as fast as he could one direction, then the other through a tight set of cones. This maneuver simulated the sudden high-speed avoidance of an obstacle in the road, such as a moose (of course). Volvo was calling this course the “Moose Avoidance Test.” The DSTC was truly an amazing feature in this test. Many other tall vehicles would have certainly become unstable and possibly lost control, spun out or even rolled over during such an extreme maneuver, but Volvo’s DSTC took over the throttle and brakes and kept the big SUV in perfect form without a hint of trouble. Even with the driver’s foot to the floor, we could feel how the DSTC aggressively controlled the throttle and all four brakes, each brake independently, to keep the vehicle straight and stable. The result was the vehicle exiting the course, still at 60 mph plus, with perfect composure. This stuck in my mind as a remarkable event and something no other SUV at the time would dare try without a full roll cage and everyone in helmets.”

“Then in January 2005, when Volvo began showing their special concept XC90 at car expos, I spotted one of them at the Los Angeles Car Expo. It was sporting a shield sticker with a moose profile on its fender. That sticker got a lot of smiles from the crowd. I instantly thought of designing the Prancing Moose as a parody of the Ferrari prancing horse and it then found its way onto my Volvo wagon for the next show I attended.”

“I first designed these Volvo Prancing Moose stickers in January 2005, which immediately went on the fenders and tailgate of my 245. I then attended the 2005 SoCalEuro Meet in Anaheim, California. The response to those stickers from attendees was a big surprise. Photos were turning up in web pages and magazines all over. People tracked me down and I began receiving many requests for that sticker, so I began making a few. I never expected it would become so popular or something others would want, but it did.”

1 Like

Pardon our dust, car is undergoing revision surgery.

Says it all…
(2011 Camaro emblem in 1969 Camaro)

This is the one that does it for me.
Tom

2 Likes

Your moose emblem is perfect. Although, it would also be home on a Subaru Outback. :crazy_face:

1 Like

2 Likes

Not that I’ll ever own one, but Rolls Royce’s simple, but oh so elegant silver RR is perfect.

1 Like

I’ve always liked the simple grill badge from late 1960s Jeep Wagoneers, etc

s-l1600

1 Like

2 Likes

Here is my submission, Buick guys will know what this signifies

5 Likes

1 Like

My favorite is the Abarth scorpion. Founded by Karl Abarth, the scorpion is his astrological sign. An Austrian native, he became an Italian citizen and the colors of the Italian flag can be found below the Abarth name and in the lightning bolt. The yellow and red colors behind the scorpion represent passion and energy.

2 Likes

My 2000 Jag XKR. “supercharged “!

3 Likes

0063_avanti_badge

Raymond Loewy re-imagined everything from locomotives to cookware, from automobiles to the blue, white and chrome livery of Air Force One - his work epitomizes the pinnacle of 20th century industrial design

9 Likes

Six cylinder turbo!!

1 Like

I’ve always liked the Ferrari prancing horse badge. This picture is from my Azzurro California Gated 360 Spider.
IMG_20191021_105713

4 Likes

IMG_1141 Mustang!

8 Likes

My favorite would be the one year Thunderbird Ford emblem on the 56 full size Fords front fenders which indicates Thunderbird powered

1 Like