Hagerty.com

Question of the Week: Tell us the vehicle that best represents the 1960s

The U.S. economy was booming in the ’60s, and the resulting innovation and need for speed spilled over to the automotive industry. From tidy little sports coupes to big bad muscle cars, the ‘60s saw a range unrivaled by most decades. What car would you choose to represent the ‘60s?

A handful of cars from the 1960s have become iconic for a variety of reasons. The rough and tumble, bare-bones pickups of the era have certainly stood the test of time. High-horsepower, racing-derived muscle cars have been the heartthrob of so many enthusiasts for decades. Do either of those accurately capture the decade though?

Tell us in the comments below which vehicle you would choose to represent the 1960s. There are no wrong answers, but we will pick the top answers and assemble a list you can read next week and find out just what the Hagerty Forums community consensus is.

4 Likes

I would say it’s a tie between the GTO and Mustang. Both cars started a new category of car (muscle car for the GTO and pony car for the Mustang) that are still popular today. On a personal note, My favorite car from the 60’s and my favorite car period is the 67 Corvette roadster!

9 Likes

THANK YOU FOR ACTUALLY TELLING IT AS IT IS.!!!

The Mustangs were named Pony Cars by Popular HOT RODDING Which I believe happened in late 1963 for the 64 Mustangs after they got one to test . If I recall correctly the first mustang had a 4 cyl engine with an optional 6 Cyl. That later deleted the 4 cyl completely but kept the 6 cyl. They added the 289 that again as memory tells me had a 2bbl carb that a bit later was also offered with a 4bbl carb , later they added a high performance version of that bad ass little 289.

I had a 64 Mustang with a 6 Cyl in it

Pontiac gave PHR A BRAND NEW 1964 GTO in late 63 for the GTO’s release . Pontiac had been using Tri Power for years before they came up with the GTO. The guys testing the GTO who wrote the article were very impressed with it and named it a “MUSCLE CAR”

ALL PONTIAC MOTORS USED THE SAME BLOCK. They simply made them with a bigger bore for more cubic inches. They included the 326, 389, 401, 421, 428? And 455 engines that unlike Chevy that stuck their new Chevelle with just about any motor from the Chevy division they could. Some were built using a 6 Cyl , a 283,327, the new 396 rated at 325hp, 350hp and 375hp that ACTUALLY Put out a whopping 425hp!!!. I owned a 66 SS 396 4 Speed Muncie N-21 and also a 66 GTO with a 389 Ram Air TriPower Ram Air with COPO OPTIONS including the infamous M-22 trans, (the dealership thought the car had a bad trans which I knew so I bickered them down to only $1500 on that beautiful red car). It was ordered built with aluminum brake drums up front NO UNDERCOATING (a $175 option to not get undercoating!) plus ram air and few other go fast options

The Chevelle and GTO were both my first Muscle Cars . Prior to them and my mustang , I had a 54 Merc with a 351, a 61 Jag XKE with a 289 Ford in it, a huge collection of 56 Chevy’s including a 2 door station wagon with a non factory 327 4 Speed in it plus a 58 Triump TR3.

AHHHH I miss the 60’s!!!

4 Likes

Definitely the Mustang it came from nowhere and within two years it was winning SCCA championships. Six cylinders, eight cylinders, coupe, convertible, fastback, an options list a mile long which made it possible for anyone to own one. Then Shelby got ahold of it and it was instantly a legend! After that every one else followed their lead. Ford had the Mustang everyone else had ponies.

2 Likes

What will posters here say…

Mustang and GTO (as first replier said) will get lots of mention.

Corvair is pure 60s on all levels. Wouldn’t have been made prior, nothing like it continued later…

Camaro will get mentioned (can’t have Mustang win a poll…)

Shelby Cobras and split window Vettes

Will less common/popular things get mention in the poll? Studebaker Avanti…

And what about imports designs that technically came earlier? Citroen DS, VW Beetle, VW type 2 (microbus).

I think it would be fun if forward control vans got a nod in the article that summarizes the poll… van customization craze was more 70s but you needed the market glut of cheap used vans to build that momentum. Vans also evolved pretty quick from what they started out as in the 60s. I say this as a Mustang owner that knows the muscle cars, pony cars, cobras and vettes are going to make the top 10.

2 Likes

I owned a Mustang back then and loved it. But I always think of VWs (Beetle and Microbus) and the Jag XKE. To me, the E Type still says ‘60s like nothing else

3 Likes

I am not a big fan but the 1st thing that popped into my mind was the tie died VW Microbus a Peace sign on the side.

4 Likes

A VW Beetle… but, one with the fancy exhaust plumbing and wide wheels and tires.

3 Likes

I came in here to say GTO but then the picture of the Mustang smacked me in the face. And if I had to pick one of those two it would be the Mustang. The first of it’s kind and spawned many many imitators and still lives today.

2 Likes

Mustang is the hands down winner. It’s the most iconic representation of the 1960’s.

2 Likes

The Mustang. It created the pony car, was loved, sold millions, and is still loved today. It was, “the sixties”.

1 Like

There is an argument for the Impala.

https://ateupwithmotor.com/model-histories/chevrolet-impala-1965-1969/

My vote is for the Mustang.

2 Likes

The 61-63 Lincoln Continental suicide-door droptop. The beginning, and the end, of Camelot.

Totally agree with spsmailbox, including the personal favorite 67 Corvette (427).

1 Like

1963 Split Window Corvette

2 Likes

Impala.

We laughed at Mustangs as girly-man re-bodied Falcons.

3 Likes

1965 Corvair turbo, 1966Toronado.

Mustang it hit so many levels with it’s variety of combinations available
My 1st new car was a 1967 Mustang 6 cyl 3 spd coupe with the Sprint package
As I remember the packaged included 1968 style hood w/turn signals // rear marker lights // chrome air cleaner // deluxe wheel covers

1 Like

Kinda’ hard to narrow it down to one car as the '60s were so wild. Probably the Mustang, GTO and beetle as everyone has mentioned but what about James Bond’s DB5? Bond was huge in the '60s
, tied in with the British (music) Invasion, the other Beatles, swinging London and all that. In the Midwest we didn’t know much about British cars but we knew the DB5 was cool even though we’d probably never see one for real.