Hagerty.com

Question of the Week: Tell us your favorite big-block

Friday was 4/26, and on this day of 4/29, we are reminded of the big-block engines we have loved (and sometimes lost). From the hard-working 348 Chevrolet that debuted in 1958 to the absurd package size of Ford’s SOHC 427 that was destined for the race track, there have a lot of beloved big-blocks. We want to hear which gets your heart rumbling.

This big-block 396 is something to lust after for sure. (Photo Hagerty)

The big-block is a larger overall package than the more common small-block. In a world where bigger often equates to better in the minds of (particularly muscle car) enthusiasts, big-blocks don’t mess around. Still, even relatively diminutive 305-cubic-inch V-6 Chevrolet bolted under the hood of trucks starting in 1960 could qualify.

So let tell us in the comments below just which big-block is the perfect combination for you, and if you have loyalty to a specific brand, let the Hagerty Forums know why.

2 Likes

428 Cobra Jet is my favorite big block

2 Likes

Boss 429, without a doubt.

2 Likes

Mine has to be the 409, she’s real fine.

3 Likes

454 solid lifter LS6

1 Like

Hands down, 426 Hemi. There’s a reason it’s called “The Elephant”. It’s the only animal in the jungle with no know enemies.

5 Likes

Oldsmobile 455 Hemi

2 Likes

Pontiac 455. Great torque in the rpm range you actually use to drive a street car in.

1 Like

Ford FE Dual Quad 427!

Technically, there is no small block or big block Pontiac. Otherwise, I would have put down the Mickey Thompson hemi Pontiac as my favorite!

2 Likes

Ford 427FE, I have one in my ERA SC Cobra Replica.

1 Like

Chevy 402, the factory motor that came in many 1970 Chevelle SS 396 models. Mine has run strong since buying my '70 SS in 1975.

My first big block was a 383 Plymouth Road Runner. I pulled the engine and put in a 440. I have driven faster cars and more powerful engines, but the 440 will always be my favorite.

If we are allowed to use modern engines, I am a huge fan of the 392 in my new Charger. Nearly 500 hp, 19 mpg city, 25 highway, low 12 ETs… what’s not to love!!

1 Like

Of course many people choose OHC’s and hemi’s , understandable. I have a '66 Corvette with a 454 BBC , + 0.060 = 7.6 litre. Alu big valve heads ,the right headers and runs on propane (!) with two vaporizers ( one for each stage) , four venturi’s ( separated two by two) on top of a 780cfm double pumper,all totally invisible when opening the hood. Ignition curve adapted for propane. A decent cam with 221 degr duration. I have had a lot of V8’s but this is my engine , Smooth power from idle and an enormous torque and power when the throttles are opened. Besides : ALL parts are available and affordable and that’s an important factor to be a popular engine.

The Chevrolet 409 because it used to make the pavement shake.

1 Like

any Chevy 427 motor, my first 427 was out of a 1969 impala and I put it in my 1967 Chevelle convertible.

4 Likes

428 Cobra Jet like the one in my ‘69 Mustang Grande.

1 Like

Water muddies up quick when you start getting into non vin cars, or still born factory efforts like the 427 Pontiac Hemi.
To me, LS 6 or 7 as it would be the only one I could afford to tweak.

Some amazing times with the over the counter and aftermarket parts in the 60’s and early 70’s.

1969 Plymouth 440 6bbl. Road Runner

1 Like

Ford 427 side oiler, dual quads

1 Like