Hagerty.com

Question of the Week: Tell us your favorite racing discipline

Auto racing is a wide landscape in the modern era, with dozens of events, series championships, and teams to follow. We want you to tell us which of the many options is your favorite racing discipline.

From the $500-max-per-car 24 Hours of Lemons craptacular to the no-expense-spared, star-studded world of Formula 1, there’s a racing style for every spectator and participant. Each of the dozens of different types of racing has its own unique draw and can easily hook the mind—and wallet—of just about any gearhead.

DN-Gassers-RedWillys

Memorized by the slide of drift cars? Haunted by the scream of Indy cars? Dreaming of throwing some back-road dirt? Tell us your favorite series or event below and explain why you love it. We’ll include our favorite answers in a follow-up story.

1 Like

Got to be Drag racing we had a track near where I grew up and spent a lot of time there many fond memory’s at that track got to watch the Kalitta/Muldowney fiasco at that track great times the proverbial good ole days LOL.Rob R

3 Likes

Baja

Any race that would pit a venerable vw beetle against modern trucks and have a decent chance of it being kind of fair; is OK with me.

1 Like

Any open wheel racing. Formula 1 gets most of the attention, but IndyCar has some of the most entertaining racing out there at the moment. Being a spec chassis really makes it a drivers series, and can make for some very daring racing.

Endurance Racing. On road and off road. It uses all the attributes of a vehicle. Your car has to accelerate, corner, brake, and LAST!! Racing where you only go straight? Racing where you only turn left? Racing where a panel of judges rates your “style”?

Auto Cross (SOLO II), I love that on any given Sunday a bunch of people can legally show up in a parking lot, lay out cones, run just about anything that is drivable and safe, have a good time, have a fair competition. Next are road rallies. For Professional racing I have really been getting into Formula E lately, I honestly believe something like Formula E is long overdue and judging by how fast it is evolving I have a feeling the E cars may be showing up in other racing styles and help to evolve street cars.

5 Likes

Motorcycle. My dad did some motorcycle racing before WW11, and took me to the Manhill hill climes when I was little.

1 Like

Currently it is vintage racing. But I started in drag racing, and it still provides a thrill. Bracket racing killed it for me, but the new nostalgic drag events are great. Vintage sports car racing gives me the chance to experience the glory days of sports car racing without the politics of current model road racing.

Sedans like the Trans-AM of the late 60s thru the 70s until it became all Porsche all the time. That was the epitome of “race on Sunday, sell on Monday”. With my buddies I was a regular of the Can- AM, Trans-AM weekends at Watkins Glen, Lime Rock and Mid Ohio.
Likewise the turn of the century revival.

2 Likes

Any form that the “average” guy/gal can still afford to participate in. Unfortunately as any form of racing/competing becomes popular…then the money (sponsorships etc.) shows up, and ruins it for the rest of us. I remember in the 80s and early 90s, driving to the drag strip, running our cars, and driving back home. Now if you don’t show up with a big diesel motor home, hauling your car (better be running under 9 second quarter) in an enclosed trailer, everyone looks at you like you have no business being there. Money ruins everything!!

3 Likes

Vintage road racing.Tickets are cheap, you are free to go any where you want except the hot pits.There are no crazy rules and most of the cars do not have electronic driver aids.Racing in its purest form, very enjoyable.

2 Likes

Any venue affordable to the weekend warrior. Here in the Midwest that would be stock cars at the County Fair Grounds or similar venues on Saturday night. As a sports car nut I appreciate road racing that challenge both the driver and the car, to me that’s the ultimate. While I don’t question the skill involved in the “take off” of drag racing it looks to me like the engine is doing most of the work to victory. Formula/Indy cars are fun to watch but fielding winners takes million $ players far from how most all racing venues began. Love the history at Daytona for instance when the races were done on the beaches by moonshiners not working on the weekends. Just my opinion.

2 Likes

Formula 1 for me since the days of Sir Stirling. But Indycar is doing it right as well these days,

Drag racing has to be at the top since anyone and everyone can take any car out to the drag strip as long as they have the required safety equipment, which isn’t too extensive…people used to rent the Mustang GT350’s from Hertz and take them out.

2 Likes

I really had to think about this. I love NASCAR, however, the only thing that the cars have in common with the store bought models is the name. Why even bother? Fake brand loyalty? Drag racing has this audible and visual gut wrenching element, however, its the side show jets I enjoy the most. F1 and Indy cars are a blast to watch, however, it seams that it has evolved into a technology competition. Vintage racing is absolutely honest with the old SCCA classification system that results in the emphasis in actual skill and mechanics, not the most cubic inches. Specifically love the old Trans AM series. The 2L cars were not out of place with the 5L cars. That’s it!

1 Like

It’s definitely Nostalgia Drags for me. Growing up with New England dragway so close and all the local rat rods, muscle cars and classics racing, has made this my favorite type of racing. Side by side on the 1/4 mile will always be number one for me.

3 Likes

Early days of CanAM and TransAm. Phil Donahue, Jim Hall, Roger Penske, Parnelli Jones – Go out to Riverside for a 2-3 day event. Incredible competition! Turned out great drivers and racing teams.

Ultra 4 off road racing, King of the Hammers race. Unlimited horsepower, unlimited tire size, the only mandates are extensive safety equipment and four wheel drive. The horsepower has to be balanced against reliability and fuel economy, as does the tire size, keeping it a drivers race.
Drag race start, 120 mph wide open desert, ~200 mile course, and rocks the size of houses. Airborne race cars, driving over competitors cars is ok, it’s grueling and a ton of fun. I worked the race three years, awesome experience.

I agree. SCCA Solo 1, Autocross is awesome.

1 Like