Hagerty.com

Question of the Week: What are the best-looking factory wheels?

Car design is involves innumerable elements that affect the overall aesthetic of a car. Yet one relatively small item can change the character of a car quite easily—the wheels. From hubcaps to forged aluminum multi-spoke designs, there is a huge range of sizes and styles that have come in and out of use and fashion in more than a century of car production. We want to know the all-time best.

Early automotive wheel designs were technology carried over from the horse-drawn wagon days. A prime example is the hickory spokes of the Model T Ford, before the advent of steel wire wheels supporting the rim.

Wire wheels just look right on a first-generation Thunderbird. (Photo Hagerty)

Now wheels can be made from any number of materials, but steel and aluminum are the most popular. These two materials also offer designers great flexibility to create interesting looking yet strong and affordable wheels. The new Ford GT even has carbon-fiber wheels. (Spoiler: they’re not cheap.)

This is not a question of strength though,as much as a question of design. Sound off in the comments below with your opinion of what factory wheel has the best look.

1 Like

1984-86 Mustang SVO, a clean, simple, and very high-tech looking wheel design. The same wheels also saw duty on some Ghia concept cars of the era.
https://d32c3oe4bky4k6.cloudfront.net/articles-videos/-/media/uscamediasite/images/story-images/2018/12/07/turbo_1986_mustangsvo_mecum.ashx?modified=20181207194200&mw=1000&hash=4F19E4305B8377899AB5BBCD85C80E12E276DE26

There’s no better lookin wheel than the aluminum mag that was available on the 1967 Shelby Mustang GT 500. They look even better on a 1966 Shelby Mustang 350 or 350H though, and that’s due to the 1965 and 1966 Mustang Fastbacks being the most beautiful car ever…it just is…

1 Like
pinned globally #4

I have always been a fan of the Saab “Soccer ball” wheels

Love the look of Pontiac Rally II wheels.

1 Like

I’ve always been a fan of the VW wheels (with hubcaps) or the Porsche phone dial wheels…

Kyle

Not exactly sure when they were introduced some point in the early sixty,s but I always liked the look of the Pontiac 8 bolt wheels with the integral brake drum they were just unusual and always draw my attention at a car show just the mechanical look with the cooling fins.R

1 Like

Any factory Subaru BBS wheels, All Alpina wheels, SLR McLaren, and the Saab 99 Turbo all have amazing wheels, Im also a sucker for any of Honda’s Type R wheels.

1 Like

I totally forgot about the gold BBS wheels on the early STI! Those rock against the World Rally Blue.

1 Like

Pontiac Honeycomb wheels followed by the Snowflake wheels second.

HRE …10 spoke (my favourite) they really accent great brake callipers and rotors.
Other styles by HRE are really nice, but it is as much about the quality and custom fitment.
I am so happy with mine.

Their are several factory favorites, But oddly enough my 16 inch factory wheels on my Mercury Grand Marquis and the Crown Vic with the performance handling package always drew compliments from several people thinking they were added aftermarket wheels!

By far and very iconic Porsche’s Fuchs “wind mill” mags. They were made in countless sizes and as many diversified materials.

1 Like