Hagerty.com

Question of the Week: What car are you most thankful for?

This week marks peak turkey consumption, with projections of Americans gobbling up 16.6 pounds of turkey per capita. That’s tryptophan overload—locate your nearest embroidered pillow and hold tight. It’s also a time when many slow down and reflect on what they are thankful for. Obviously, we want to know what car you are thankful for.

A car serves many purposes, and one can be thankful for their car for many reasons. Maybe it got you to that first job that launched your career. Maybe it carried your new family home from the hospital, or took you on a cross-country adventure that shaped your outlook on life. It could just be the car you like to look at, or the car you have to wrench on so often that you now know your way around a toolbox better than anyone on your block.

A sunset cruise is a great way to reflect on your favorite classic. (Photo- Hagerty)

Which car are you most thankful for? Let us know in the comments below.

I am most thankful for my 1949 Mercury. My father built it and drove it for many years. He gave it to me about ten years ago. (He likes to keep it at his house so he can drive it when he wants!)

The car I am most thankful for is my 63 Nova. In the spring of 85 I was heading up to the mountains for a day of skiing, the afternoon before had been a stormy one but being spring time in CA it was a warm storm that dropped several inches of slush that had frozen over night and just as I crested a rise in the road I hit a patch of black ice. The car went sideways and slid off the road were I hit a rock the size a VW Bug broadside and rolled. The car landed right side up between two pines and had a branch sticking in through both quarter windows. I was about 5 feet from going over a cliff that was about a 1000 feet down to valley below. Every panel on the car was smashed including the roof and the passengers side a-pillar was bent but it didn’t collapse and I got out of the car with only a minor cut on my hand from the broken glass.

So thankful for my 1991 Nissan Figaro. I first saw one in an issue of Automobile magazine 27 years ago and I wanted on ever since, especially since the article told me I couldn’t have one here in the US. I just had to wait the 25 years to import it.

I am thankful for my 1973 Pantera. When I was ten years old my father took me to the Carlini Brothers Body shop to look at progress made to his car. While there he asked if I wanted to see a cool car covered up in the back of the shop. He lifted the cover and there was a beautiful yellow Pantera sitting there. It was Hank Carlini’s, Director of the Ford Pantera program. I told my dad that one day I would own one of those beautiful cars. Fast forward 40 years and I found this one in upper New York. So I picked up my now 82 year old father drove 10 hours and loaded the car on a trailer. I then turned to my father and reminded him of our previous conversation.

I’m thankful for the 1968 _ 1979 Charger R/T and then everything else. I love all.

I am thankful for my 73 Maverick, which my father bought new. I have owned it for the last 25 years. It is a sleeper with a 421 Windsor, a beefed C4, a Gearvendors Overdrive and a Currie 9 inch rear end.

I am most thankful for the first car I ever had, a 1959 or '60 North-American market Fiat 500, bought in January of 1962 in Anchorage, Alaska. I was just shy of 21, an enlisted Airman at Elmendorf AFB, and although I’d ridden a bicycle on snow and ice I had never driven a car in those conditions. By sheer dumb luck I’d picked the best car I could have to learn how to do that.

My first day of driving downtown I braked too hard, spun 180º, and ended up tail-first at a stoplight … but that 9’ long car had stayed in its lane. All I suffered was embarrassment. With a tiny 2-cylinder engine out back and under half a ton dry weight, the car didn’t so much come with training wheels as embody them. Within a few weeks I had two buddies in the car with me, playing the fool in gravel-paved suburbs, and when we spun out on an icy stretch and fetched up atop a big snow pile we just picked the car off and set it back down.

The car may sound like a toy, and I did tend to treat it that way, but some very serious engineering by Dante Giacosa and his fellows had given it some beautiful handling characteristics, especially its wonderfully sensitive steering. On one long midwinter trip down the Kenai Peninsula, in the dark there was often no visual difference between wet blacktop and black ice, but by paying attention I found that the steering wheel would tell me what was under its wheels. It also taught me not to grip the wheel on anything but dry pavement.

Within 18 months I had the opportunity to trade the Fiat in on a Morris 850 Mini, one I’d driven several times when it had belonged to friends, and I jumped at it. It was a good car and a great deal, and a very different driving experience, but I’m forever grateful that I’d had The Mouse, as I called it, to teach me the ropes.

I’m thankful for my Mazda Miata. It gives me a “two-fer” every time I drive it. I’m a prostate cancer survivor and run the Cancer Journeys Foundation. That bright yellow Miata attracts attention to the need to take those pesky annual ancer screening tests and lets me have fun at autocross and Track Night events at the same time. Love it. Thanks Mazda!

I’m thankful for my 1979 528i E12. This BMW has never let me down. It’s a beautiful car and there seems to be fewer left. As long as I can acquire parts, this car will always have a place in my garage.

I am thankful for beeing a canadian I am also thankful for so many american friends I have had and still have the pleasure to talk with and trade with in the car hobby ihave delt with many US companies which all were helpful and accommadating I am thankful to have had the opportunity to built and fly a full sized biplane replica and I am thankful to own a 48 dodge Coupe and a 1963 Alfa romeo julia Roadster and I am thankful for my wife of 61 years who has supported me in all my endeavors and I am thakful for a long Life and 10000 more things

My 1965 Impala Convertible, aka - my high school car. Blue with Blue interior and white top. It was beautiful in my teenage eyes. It wasn’t fast but it landed me as the lead car in the homecoming parade with the queen sitting on the back! Plus, it was the car everyone wanted to ride in to go watch the street races, so I was never without friends. I’m thankful because it developed my love of convertibles.

Since high school, I’ve owned roughly 20 convertibles and without that passion, it wouldn’t have led to its “replacement” – same year and colors, just slightly different body style :slight_smile: (and my 2nd most thankful car). 65Vette_dvr

DCP_2674

I’m thankful for all things Chevrolet-especially all models of 1959. I thank God for all the blessings He’s bestowed on me giving me the chance to own and drive them

Peace
Andy

I am most thankful for my 1969 Camaro Z28. I have owned it for 40 years & it still has the original DZ 302 engine. It sat in the garage for 30 years while my family took top priority and while my son went to college. But after open heart surgery 6 years ago the Camaro became the #1 item on my “bucket list”. Four years, a rebuild on the engine, rebuilt Muncie & 12 bolt rear, a complete brake system , new black top and a repaint to the original Daytona Yellow color and I’m as happy with it as I can be. What a joy it is to drive and that is exactly what I do with it! I am truly blessed.

I am very thankful holding on to my 1st kar fr H.S., my dad bought for me in 1974, owned it 43 yrs. 1969 Dodge Charger, no plans on selling it…

I’m most thankful for my 66 GTO which I have owned for 49 years.My wife and I dated in this car,drove it on our honeymoon,and brought our first child home from the hospital in it.It was our family car for the first 4 years we were married.Now it only gets driven in nice weather but I love to drive it every chance I get.
Ed Mann

I am very lucky to have more than one classic car I am thankful for. I have a Caddy from grandpa and a VW bug from my dads mom. I cherish the fact that they had a love for cars and new how to take care of them. My 1956 VW bug though has a interesting story. My dad and I went to a Vintage VW show in Irvine, CA about 20 years ago. We went looking for a ragtop oval window - nearly impossible to find unless at a show. Even there it seemed everything was a bucket of bolts or prim and proper and therefore way out of my price range. We left and I was fairly dejected. As we walked through the parking lot to our car I spotted exactly what I was looking for. It was very mediocre. There was no ragtop, but after my full-day of no luck it was a sight for sore eyes. It had no sign on it, but I couldn’t help but think I had to put my own sign on it. I couldn’t just walk away. I put a note on it - “I want to buy your car!” After about a week we gave up hope and then came the call…“I have 2 and was thinking about selling one”. I was in VW heaven. My dad and I drove a few hours away to pick it up. Amateur paint and so/so interior, but it ran and ran well. $3k 20 years ago was a steal and today it is unheard of. You can’t even get a roller for 3k. My dad is now gone and I cherish those memories every single time I get in my 56 Oval! I cherish that ride back. He wanted to drive the VW and I drove his car just in case anything happened. Nothing did. We are all just borrowing these beautiful rides as someday a family member or a complete stranger will be rolling down the road in our beloved rides. I am delighted I am able to do so with a few neat stories along the way…

I am most thankful for my 1956 Ford Thunderbird–the car of my dreams. Growing up in a working class community in 1956, I didn’t see any cars like the Thunderbird. Four door sedans and the occasional station wagon were the norm for the parents of my friends. One warm, summer day I was with my parents shopping for groceries. The local grocery store in Winston-Salem, N.C., Food Fair, was sponsoring a drawing for a brand new 1956 Thunderbird, which was prominently displayed in front of the store. Seeing that car was like a cherry bomb going off in a library, because I had never seen such a beautiful automobile. Even the name of the car was cool–“THUNDERBIRD.” I vowed that day that I would someday own such a car. I had to wait 56 years, but six years ago, I found a solid, rust free car in Florida that was an excellent candidate for restoration. The car was restored at a local shop in Georgia, and it has won several local and national awards. However, my real passion is driving the car with my wife. It takes me back to that nine year old boy in the grocery store parking lot.

Thanks, I really enjoy the articles on your site and have told friends of mine to look at it.

My 1987 Corvette. It was a birthday present from my wife this past July. Garage kept with 34,000 original miles. I true beauty.