Hagerty.com

Question of the Week: What car did you take your driving test in?

Two and half ton 1954 Chevrolet flat bed dump truck

54 chrys new yorker.great car with full time power steering

1971 Duster, 340 4bbl. Scared the crap out of the Examiner…lol

A 1962 Lincoln Continental; black, red leather interior and a white convertible top. Talk about a sixteen year old driving a gun boat like that. I use to pick up my brother and a neighborhood girl from junior high most every day in the Lincoln; I married that girl in 1969. We’ll be celebrating our 50th anniversary this August.

1 Like

A 1948 Buick special 2 door sedan. Green. It was my brother’s car and he loaned it to me for the test. it was stick and I was 16. The test included the parallel parking. I remember scaring the examiner when pulling back into the DMV parking lot a little too fast and a little too close to that telephone pole. I passed anyway. That was 1955,

It was my 16th birthday in 1972 and I drove Dad’s 1967 Lincoln Continental. It was a shade of green that was so light as to appear to be white, with a vinyl top of a slightly darker shade. Very classy car with suicide doors. I think it was the last year for the 462.

It was my mom’s pride and joy, a 1955 Chrysler Imperial.

A 1968 Shelby Mustang with a 428CJ, 4 speed! It was that or my Mom’s 1973 Mercury Marquis with a 429, the Shelby was a little smaller and I had more driving time behind it! The Examiner was more thrilled about the car than how I drove! He kept asking questions the entire time. I probably could have passed a few stop signs and never even paralleled parked and he would have never known!

I took my driver’s test in a 1948 Dodge 2-door coupe, that my mother had bought used. It had a stick shift, with fluid drive, which kept it from stalling if you clutched wrong. Back then the police gave you your driver’s test, at least in Ferndale. I passed all the tasks that the officer gave me, so at the end I pulled up to a slight incline at the police station. I put my foot on the brake pedal. . .and it went down to the floor. I smelled the unmistakable smell of brake fluid. The hydraulic system suddenly developed a leak, at the worst possible time. Murphy’s law, right? But the officer took pity on me, didn’t penalize me for equipment fault, and approved me.

1964 Bellaire 6cyl, 3 speed on the tree, no PS or PB. In January with light snow.

1967 was the year. The car was a 1962 SAAB 3 cyl. 2-stroke. 3 on the tree. I passed.

I took my first driver’s test in a '71 VW Super Beetle. 4-sp manual of course. I aced the test!

1 Like

I took my test I. A 1963 dodge 440 4dr. Sedan. Pushbutton automatic and 225 slant 6

I learned on a ‘57 Dodge pickup/flatbed with 3-on-the-tree on my 14th Birthday when my father took me go get my present. It was a JOB!
I worked for a landscaper/florist, my first job was to load the truck with flats of flowers along with all the essentials, peat moss, bonemeal, cow poop, and fertilizer and drive to the boss’s house and plant everything.
He didn’t care that I had no license and didn’t drive, so I had to teach myself. Two years later after only driving stick for two years my Mom took me for my road test in our 1965 Ramble Classic with an automatic transmission. I aced my test but on the way home, with a stop sign coming up I PUT IN THE CLUTCH! The Rambler had a very wide brake pedal. Luckily my Mom learned on stick and understood what happened and we made it home.