Hagerty.com

Question of the Week: What car disappointed you the most?

Those Mustang II’s were disaster’s waiting to happen. Rust-mobiles!

Drove mine ten years, 2.8 ltr. V6, manual 4 speed.
Was well maintained and rust proofed annually. 200,000 miles and sold for a good price.

Worst a new 1967 Plymouth Fury II spent more time in the dealership than on the road. Bow Wow.

That was a tough combo…the 5.0 litre V8 with the THM200 transmission. My friend had that car and had the bad camshaft, failed trans and the rear axle shaft separation issue. He called that car the “5 litre cam eater.”

Yup, it had the 305 Chevy V8. Never had the cam problem. Actually unbeknownst to me I sold it just in time. Heard back from a friend of a friend that the cam didn’t last much longer. Hard for an engine to run when the valves hardly open due to worn cam lobes and tappets! Other engine problems from new…. Misaligned alternator mounting bracket that would go through belts in a few thousand miles and a leaking timing case cover. Both easily diagnosed and fixed, yet dealer service manager and then Olds zone rep took no action, lied, claimed fixed and closed the complaint with Olds corporate with a “satisfied customer”! But actually just parked the car at the dealer ship for a day and never touched it…. Multiple times, until I escalated far up the chain enough.

After moving to Vermont in 1995, I needed an all wheel drive vehicle. I settled for an 86 Audi Quattro CS. The car was not as good on snow as I expected it to be. It would understeer horribly. I also ended up being nickel and dime to nearly a financial ruin even when I did my own repairs. I had a couple of parts cars as well. I ended up selling every Audi part I owned, and the car, and I will never own another one.

The Mercury Capri was also my biggest mistake. I sold a 70 Z28 to buy the 72 Capri because of insurance costs and gas mileage . Some of the car magazines spoke highly of the Capri and its V6 engine when it was first released. Calling it the little sport coupe. I found that the Capri did get much better gas mileage but that was the only benefit. The brakes were horrific and I had to replace the brakes at 25,000 miles. The car was always hard to start and was just bad luck for me. I kept it for only two years and traded it in on a 1974 260Z.

Well I purchased a beautiful 1992 Convertible (red). I turned out to be my least favorite Corvette. The suspension in the front end was horrible. Sold it and bought the first '97 in town-have and many since then and all have been great.

My husband and I loved the cars in the 60’s, especially the Ford Mustang. Never had one then, but many years later heard our youngest son on the phone with a friend saying the 68 Mustang was his dream car. We had been wondering for years what to buy him when he graduated. He had cost us practically nothing to educate ( prep school, Ivy college)–as he had earned scholarships throughout. We felt we needed to thank him for his efforts— with his dream car. Found a mint 68 Mustang with all original parts and only 54K miles. Drove it up to his graduation. He took a spin around campus, then asked us to bring it back home as he had just accepted a full scholarship to graduate school & would have nowhere but the street to park it. OK by us ( just wanted him to enjoy it), but not OK by him ( he couldn’t bring himself to “disrespect a mint classic” like that). So the car has sat home in a backyard garage while he worked his way through his phD & post doctoral fellowships. Now married & teaching college he still has no “extra” garage space for the car. But the years have taken their toll on the car (gas tank & a seized brake.) So, our suggestion to anyone else out there hoping to “surprise” a family member with a classic car----wait! Be sure everyone is on the same page.Or the surprise may be a costly and disappointing one for everyone. Now we have to sell a car he never used. A watch may have been of more use!

Rented one when they still made them. Scary handling.