Hagerty.com

Question of the Week: What car has the coolest gauges?

The gauge cluster is an important part of any car. Not only do gauges communicate the vital signs of the car, their placement means the driver likely spends more time gazing over the gauge cluster than at the rest of the car.

If it is so important and something you will be looking at so often, picking a good looking design is critical. From engine turned metal of a 1940 Buick, to the futuristic digital designs of so many cars from the 1980s, every designer has placed unique flair in the information center of the automobile.

Photo- Hagerty

So sound off in the comments below. Is simple the best design (looking at you Ford Model A), or do you need custom programmable LCD panel (Dodge Demon, anyone?) to form the perfect gauge cluster. Tells us which is the best!

pinned globally #2

The 02 Prius I used to own had a miles/km button.
when pressed, it would switch everything over to metric.
everything.
the fun thing was, because of the difference in miles vs. km, I joked that it was a “turbo” button.

=)

1 Like

1970-1974 Mopar E-Body Rallye gauges.

3 Likes

Absolutely no doubt the 1958 Corvette!!!
01%20AM

6 Likes

stude%20dash

55 Studebaker Speedster. I think the 70 Trans Am copied it

3 Likes

The aircraft insprired 1963/1964 Studebaker Avanti dash is stylish and presents all operating functions laid out in front of the driver.

10 Likes

1959 Desoto
Ribbon speedo!
4 Likes

1960 Chrysler New Yorker, The jet age look!

15 Likes

1970 /71 Mercury Cyclone

3 Likes

And at night, red lighting is extra cool for this 1963 Studebaker Avanti!

2 Likes

Volvo 1800 S

5 Likes

Hands down, 70-71 Mercury Cyclone.

Agreed, and this dash carried over to the Hawk and Avanti. Simple and functional.

2 Likes

Are you on the right website?

2 Likes

I second the motion but then, I never saw that 1959 DeSoto ribbon speedo before after having a Father who was MOPAR crazy and me driving those cars as a teenager.Too cool so this one MUST move into second place after that one.Thanks for the cool memories. Grumpy

1949 NASH Uniscope was a classicuniscope

2 Likes

Always have liked the simple, round Smiths gauges used in so many British cars.

Innocenti Mini 1300’s had a pod gauge cluster. Best Mini gauges out there. (below is from an early 1970s car.

1 Like

It has to be the 1960 Chrysler!!! Lots of “Bling”!! Most of the 60’s Mopars had “far out” dashes, I remember the square steering wheels on some models. The Avanti dash is more to my taste, but oh that Chrysler.

3 Likes