Hagerty.com

Question of the Week: What feature or option from classic cars should return?

The car market is a balance of what the buyers want and the manufacturer wants to sell. Sadly, that means many features are relegated to history, only to be found on vintage rides. We want to know the feature on your classic that you wish would return to the assembly lines.

The standardization of cars started over a century ago, but there were still unique features between models. There are also some that were standard across all lines for years before they were phased out for something different. The floor mounted dimmer switch comes to mind.

Sound off in the comments below. There are plenty of features manufacturers have sent off into the sunset, whether buyers wanted them or not. Which would you bring back?

1 Like

An owners manual that is also the repair manual.

Windshield washer fluid pump controlled by the spare tire air pressure.

Running boards.

Airtight cabins.

Chrome.

Bench seats.

Hub caps.

Hood ornaments.

Style. (I know its subjective.)

Soul. (Again, I know it is subjective.)

2 Likes

Manual Transmission.

13 Likes

Individuality, most cars look the same these days, even from different manufacturers.
Chrome bumpers!
Mechanical clutch linkage, I hate hydraulic clutches!
And on a similar note, mechanical throttle linkage, I also hate drive by wire!

8 Likes

An actual option list instead of a limited number of packages that lump things I don’t want together.

Being able to delete options.

Colour options for exterior other than black/silver/grey/white with the occasional blue or red and really rare other choice.

Colour options for interior other than grey/black or grey/black with a tan/beige/white insert and/or a wee bit of stitching colour.

8 Likes

#1 Vent Windows
#2 Ability to order what options you want and delete what you don’t need.

20 Likes

Floor mounted dimmer switch.

11 Likes

Headlight toggle switch on the floor.

5 Likes

Haha what are the odds we posted that at the same time

5 Likes

@bill11 - I actually do wish vent windows returned. They have their place.

My girlfriend’s Jeep Renegade has fake vent windows, which hurts my brain.

6 Likes

A auto radio with reverberator.

2 Likes

Cars you can work on yourself, especially under the hood.

6 Likes

I’ll second that. Timing lights, dwell meters, etc. are all sitting in tool boxes collecting dust. I also support the return of vent windows.

4 Likes

Necker’s knobs. I know they were never a factory option but they shoulda been. Likewise, front bench seats without a fold down armrest. For obvious reasons.

3 Likes

Velour in back seat
Passenger ejection seat

6 Likes

Full deck continental kit

Swiveling front bucket seats.

11 Likes

I really miss the kick panel vents - those things could move some air!

15 Likes

Simplicity. Today’s automakers are too focused on selling parts and labor, rather than quality. Every design and construction decision seems based in getting the car back into the dealerships for high dollar maintenance and repairs.

6 Likes