Hagerty.com

Question of the Week: What is the greatest automotive racing movie?

For the truly car-obsessed, our brains are like a never-ending 24-hour race. Engines, tires, downforce, every second of the day. So when it comes time to pick a movie and relax a bit, a milquetoast rom-com isn’t gonna cut it. It has to be a high-revving door-to-door racing movie, right? We want to know which is your favorite.

Lets face it, there are more of us out there that may never get the chance to drive a race car at ten-tenths. A well-produced movie can transport us inside the helmet of a driver though, as we picture our feet deftly dancing on the pedals or hands ripping the shifter between gears. The right actor can make a break a movie too, and there are certainly a few movies that had the right ingredients until the casting team made their selection.

Let’s hear your take: Tell us the racing movie that always finishes first on your screen, just for you to hit the play button again and adjust your recliner as if it was a racing seat.

2 Likes

Bullit was the greatest racing movie of all time

2 Likes

In my opinion, LeMans.

9 Likes

Heart Like a Wheel, believe it or not.

3 Likes

Not a racing movie. Best car chase hands down though.

1 Like

Two Lane Black Top…

2 Likes

Epic racing careers of James Hunt and Niki Lauda in the movie RUSH
Intense Formula 1 racing and a lot of Hollywood

11 Likes

Grand Prix or Lemans are the best Racing Movies, Bullet best chase scene followed bu The 7-Ups and French Connection

7 Likes

For me it’s the Gumball Rally. Great fun and beautiful cars, and a race across the country.

8 Likes

Dust to Glory is a great documentary about racing.

2 Likes

LeMans followed by Grand Prix and Rush in that order.

5 Likes

I have another tied with that one – Grand Prix.
Unfortunately, both movies were encumbered with hokey “romance” sidebar plot lines and excessive “character development” that interfered with the core subject of the film. There is sufficient drama in a major car race without bowing to the usual Hollywood worn-out film memes.
The racing scenes in both films were well-filmed and the sound was excellent. Grand Prix had cameo appearances by a number of then-living drivers that are still a treat to see.
It would be most enjoyable to see a genuine “racing” film that concentrated solely on the racing, and left all of that other stuff to the soaps.

1 Like

If “Senna” qualifies, there is no doubt in my mind.

4 Likes

LeMans…haven’t seen RUSH

2 Likes

OK - how about Paul Newman in “Winning”

Darwin

4 Likes

But there’s still more racing movies to come. Some never made it to the theaters. They’re just released as DVD’s, which is sad. If your taking past movies, that’s a tough one. I do like 1967 movie Gran Prix with James Garner in the lead. That had some incredible racing scenes in it, especially the track at Monza. The high bank shots were amazing. One could see that the track was out dated for the speeds the racing machines were doing. I also like Le Mans with Steve McQueen.

1 Like

Talladega Nights; The Ballad of Ricky Bobby.

7 Likes

The Great Race. 1965 slapstick comedy film starring Jack Lemmon, Tony Curtis, and Natalie Wood, directed by Blake Edwards.

6 Likes

Grand Prix, hands down.

2 Likes