Hagerty.com

Question of the Week: What is your can’t-miss auto race?

Still doing some vintage FF racing. So - This year my cant miss will be the FF 50th anniversary celebration event at Road America in September. 200 FFs entered. Gonna be awesome.

It’s an autocross event, but I attended the SCCA Solo Nationals last year in Nebraska and I highly recommend it. Almost 1500 cars competing on two courses, simultaneously. An amazing array of car classes, something for everyone, and a fun paddock scene.

The Twelve Hours of Sebring

IMSA at Laguna Seca. I love Laguna Seca!

The Goodwood Revival and the Spa 6 Hours historic event. Usually held on back to back weekends is tough to beat!

Montreal Formula 1 Grand Prix at the beginning of June.

Chili Bowl Nationals at Tulsa! 350 full midgets, racing over 5 days to make 24 spots in the main event, a whos who in motorsports attend, once a year in January. Building could hold 7 football fields, all cars, haulers, 1/4 mile dirt track and 15,000 seat grandstands and venders all under one roof.

INDY 500, BABY! This next will be my 28th, and I plan to continue to go as long as I am above ground!

12 hours of Sebring. My first race as a kid in 1968. I was hooked. Went the next 14 years in a row missed some as I joined the navy and now I’m back. See you there!!!

I am surprised no one Mentioned the Chicago region SCCA June Sprints at Road America.
Or the vintage event in July. Still the best course in America, and the close-up look in the Pits with the most diverse collection of equipment and owners drivers willing to talk about it.

Nascar Souther 500 Darlington SC

As an avid autocrosser and track junkie, the two that stand out to me are SCCA Solo Nationals (largest motorsports event in the world by participation, I believe) and SCCA Time Trials Nationals (I think this will become the Solo Nationals for track junkies). Both are amazing experiences that really focus on the drivers having fun and being as exciting as possible. Solo Nationals is particularly awesome because it draws in drivers from other series as well (many of which who may have started autocrossing early in their motorsports career). Either way, they are just as fun as the big events like the Petite LeMans or Daytona 24, but you get to be a part of the action!

Monster Energy NASCAR cup races at Daytona and Indianapolis

While I look forward to the 24 HR and Sebring as a kick off to the season, I’ve been attending the Long Beach Grand Prix since the F1 days. All with the same group of guys, same seats, same house…

Daytona 500. Once the race starts, spring is on it’s way!!

So many choices! I have to agree that the 12 hours of SEBRING it is a total racing experience super concentrated. It offers the more bang for the buck racing event, period. As a member of the SCCA I’ve worked it for years and not one of them have been the same. With that said the INDY 500 is the grand daddy of them all, the pomp and circumstance of Monaco, the Belgian GP with its Eau Rouge…

SCCA Festival of Speed at Gingerman Raceway in South Haven, MI. Pro-Touring Cars, TrackEvent, SCCA Regional Sprint Races, SCCA Team Endurance Challenge and fun!

I’m working F&C at the Sebring 12H this year!

The biggies - 24H of Le Mans; Daytona Rolex 24H; and Sebring 12H. But also (and more importantly), the SCCA Solo National Championships, SCCA Time Trials Nationals, and SCCA Runoffs.

The SCCA National Championships, aka the Runoff’s are the best deal going. Twenty five races spread over three days, held at beautiful Virginia International Raceway this year on October 11th through 13th.

And if you are like the cars, the paddock is wide open to guests and visitors. You’ll find some of the friendliest people in the auto racing world at an SCCA event- don’t miss it!