Hagerty.com

Question of the Week: What is your favorite car event?

Any event at Carlisle Fairgrounds is one to attend! I have been going to Corvettes@Carlisle since it started in the 80s and only missed one year! Its always the third weekend in August and gets about 1500 Corvettes in the show field, GM usually brings a few of their Corvettes from their Collection which arent usually displayed at the Museum so its always a treat. Two years ago they renamed the GM Nationals to the Chevrolet Nationals and its been getting bigger ever since. ALL GM vehicles are welcome but since Chevrolet is the only performance line GM has left, I guess they “re-branded” to keep up with the times. You will see some of the rarest cars of any kind at one of the Carlisle events. If you havent attended a Carlisle Event, it should be on your bucket list because they have an event for EVERYONE on different weekends April through October: Ford, Chrysler, and Chevrolet Nationals, Corvettes, Truck, Import and Kit Car, as well as a General Spring and Fall Swap Meet.

The Great Pacific Northwest Mini Microcar Extravaganza in Forest Grove, Oregon! It’s for the smallest cars ever produced!

Woodward Dream Cruise If you don;t see it here it doesn’t exist

Hershey in October! Been going there almost every year since I was a kid in 1974. It was “the big show” in the 70s and 80s now it’s like the super duper gigantic show, maybe a little too big but I still mostly enjoy it.

Good Guys at Texas Motor Speedway, Spring or Fall. Lots of nice cars, a handful of exceptional cars, plenty of cars for sale, ideas for my cars out the wazoo, vendors, parts, lemonade, a few pretty women being dragged around by their ?? What’s not to like?

Moultrie, Ga. Swap Meet & Car Corral. Jan. & Feb. Lots of non-professional vendors and BIG car corral!

Greenwood Car Show north of downtown Seattle annually at the end of June. It’s sponsored by the Greenwood Knights and features a mile and a half of classics on both sides of Greenwood Avenue. Family-friendly and most car owners on hand to answer questions.

Up here in Southern NH/Northern Mass. we don’t appreciate big huge shows set in full sun, hot , muggy fields, where they price soft drinks @ $7 EACH, and all they have are junk food vendors and sellers of cheap chinese crap!!..Up here we like to gather with other old car guys, meet up sat or sunday morning and cruise as a group to either the Lakes, the White Mountains or the NH seashore or Cape Cod, or even down to the mansions along Newport, RI’s seacoast!! And where EVER we go we have a Breeze, Good laughs, Great food, and a FUN time getting there and back!!! Hold the sunburns and fried food!!:):)…if anybody want to suggest a group CRUISE or invite to Your cruise, let me know…let’s pick an interesting place and make a FULL DAY out of it!! Summer’s short here in New England…I can only drive up until the first SALTY roads about early DECEMBER!!! hahaha

It used to be as many as I can get to but our summers have been taking to long to get here and it does arrive its been spoiling many of the events…late summer and early fall are the only ones I look forward to now…If you are ever in Morris Ill on the second Saturday of the month…WOW-OMG and pack a lunch…you will be there all day…and I mean that…Now that we have a car show being filmed in Illinois …Garage Squad…it like having royalty among us… The last event I was able to go to had over 600 cars, there is a fee of $10.00 a car for charity so each car gets some paper work to fill out and that is how they number the total count…The main street and several side streets are overflowing with what ever runs on 4 wheels…From outstanding show cars to local gear heads and hundreds of one of a kind jaw droppers you’d hope to find…Its almost a 100 mile ride for us (to and from) but its been one of the best car collection in one place for one cause I have ever been to…

My favorite by far is Mid America’s Corvette FunFest in Effingham Illinois September 20 to 23 at Mid America Motorworks Headquarters. As many as 16,000 Corvettes show up here for a weekend of shows, vendors, contests and first class entertainment and food.

As far as the “best run” car event that I’ve attended it is DEFINITELY “Chryslers at Carlisle”. The people there are THE BEST at being organized, helping you find your space, other vendors, information, etc. When I used to go to the Mopar Nationals it was confusing mayhem and they had no idea how to help you find your friends or even where a particular parts vendor was set up.
I REALLY enjoyed “Hunnert Car Pileup” in Joliet Illinois, but the show got to be too big for its location & management. They tried the best that they could, but the show’s popularity overwhelmed the volunteers and the local authorities.
Since moving to Louisiana, my wife and I have been exploring Cruisin’ The Coast over in Mississippi and it is a great event.

Atlantic Nationals Car Show in Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

SEMA ! Hot August Nights in Reno, the Historic auto races at Sears Point
( now called Sonoma Raceway, what will it be next year or 2 ??? )

I used to love the Monterey Historics, attended many times from the first one on, but the price-gouging for motels, the crowds, and the traffic are more than I’m willing to deal with now. If i could attend any event in the world, I’d probably pick the combination of the Goodwood Revival and Festival of Speed as number one, and the Isle of Man TT as number two.

Hershey P.A on the U.S side closest to me /Moparfest in New Hamburg Ontario Canada some of the most dedicated Mopar enthusiast in this country with some of the most impressive cars to have been turned out of the Dodge Bros.R

One of my favorite swap meets.

My favorite event that I’ve attended would be the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix and all of the events that take place over the two week time period in July. The International Car show during the Schenley Park Race Weekend may have well over 3,000 automobiles representing everything from American Motors to Zagato, and everything in between. All makes, all years and all countries are represented each year. If it has wheels and a motor, it will be represented. My favorite that I’ve yet to attend would be Goodwood.

Finding a parking space near to where I am going is my favorite event. Second would be the British Invasion in Stowe, Vermont.

My interests are pretty broad, but definitely like the events that involve cruising and other driving portions. Anything where it’s primarily a static display or has “D’Elegance” in the title always seemed to be like going to an outdoor museum…and I can do that in the winter.
Was really anticipating this event which is just a few hours from me but it was weather delayed a month and I won’t be able to make the new date…

Definitely on the calendar for next October though.