Hagerty.com

Question of the Week: What is your favorite front-wheel-drive car?

Often considered by a group of the classic car faithful to be “wrong-wheel-drive,” cars that send power to only the front axle tend to get a bad shake from enthusiasts. However, there are fun-to-drive options out there, and we want to know which one you (secretly) hate to love.

Front-wheel-drive was a technology first attempted in the sunrise of the automobile. The layout required more refinement than the industry was capable at the time, and, like so many other cool pieces of tech, took a hiatus for a few decades. The true revival of the FWD platform came with the flood of import cars and the American cars that were produced to combat that influx. From the Chrysler K-car to the Mini, there is a wide spectrum from utility to sportiness to be found with FWD powertrains.

So we know it might not be your dream layout, but take a step back and imagine for a second your dream FWD car, then leave it as a comment below.

1 Like

Citroen DS. Still remarkable after all these years. Got to drive one back in 1972. On a Volkswagen used car lot, $1495 with 14k mileage. Two tone green absolutely mint, salesman just wanted to get rid of it. Unfortunately finances didn’t allow me to buy it, still regret.

2 Likes

The Renault 5! (Americans only got the anemic Le Car version). I esp. loved the later version with the bigger motor (1.7 L?) and five-speed manual my father had in Quebec in the 1980s. It was a super-econo! It would jitterbug on ice if braked wrong too…

Oldsmobile Tornado Hands Down
Next not a car GMC Clasic Motorhome

6 Likes

Don’t have a one. Had a rare 88 Chevy Celebrity Eurosport with a factory 5 speed.
It just feels “un-natural” to have the car pulled instead of pushed.

3 Likes

In 1979 the Buick Riviera and Olds Toronado both for me are hands down my favorite front wheel drive cars. My buddy had a Riviera and the ride was smooth. Classy car.

5 Likes

Citroen DS, hands down. Most advanced car in 1955, it was still more advanced than almost anything else on the road when it was discontinued over 20 years later.

2 Likes

My thoughts, exactly. The 1972 Toronado in triple black and the GM Motorhome.

1981 Volkswagen Cabriolet. That thing was a hoot to drive especially in the snow.

3 Likes

Never drove the original Mini Cooper, but we had a 2002 ‘S’ model that was my wife’s daily driver. Taking it in the mountains west of Denver was just as much fun as the Z3 or Miata she had and had more room.

1989 Taurus SHO. Also a blast in the Rockies

1 Like

Sorry Buick Rivera is not front wheel drive

1 Like

2000 Saab Viggen. 230HP, 258 lb.ft torque, no traction control and electronically limited to 155 MPH, what was not to like? Comfortable and rock solid. Never did try for that top speed limiter…The car I most regret trading in.

2 Likes

Had several Hondas but my favorite was the 2001 Integra GSR.

Also, I loved my 2010 VW Golf TDI. Repurchased by VW but still miss it.

1 Like

In 1962, i hitch-hiked to Green Acres, north of Goderich, Ontario to see a car race on an abandoned WWII air training facility. My dream car, a Pontiac Bonneville got it’s ass handed to it by a couple of Mini Coopers. I was instantly converted and have owned many Minis since. Absolutely the most fun you can have in a car. 50mpg and more fun on a twisty road than you can imagine. I have one in the garage now that we are building a 1275 S engine for - double the horsepower = double the fun, and double the torque steer!

1 Like

My 1984 Dodge Shelby Charger. Plenty fast but the handling was amazing even for front wheel drive.

2 Likes

I am not much of a FWD person, but I gotta admit that the Volkswagen GTI is a superb automobile. I am consistently surprised at how capable they are when I drive one.

8 Likes

Had same car but with automatic and have to agree FWD just isn’t right. I have 5 cars now, not one has FWD other than my 4X4 truck. Getting hard to avoid these days.

1 Like

DKW 1000SP-- looked like a 5/8 scale '58 T-Bird. Bought for $100 in the late 60’s and sold (with a now cracked windshield) for the same amount in the early 70’s. Saw an ad for one a few years ago at $15,000 but would have spent more than that in re-creating the bottom 4" of mine which was disappearing at a rapid rate.

2 Likes