Hagerty.com

Question-of-the-week-what-is-your-favorite-road

There’s a special joy that comes from driving a vintage car, but the right road can take the experience to a whole new level. Whether you are into the lifestyle for the sake of driving, wrenching, or restoration, this week we highlight the ribbons of pavement we daydream of experiencing in the cars we love.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/01/12/question-of-the-week-what-is-your-favorite-road

My favorite piece of road is Montana Highway 37, from Libby to Eureka. It’s 69 miles of smooth asphalt, largely untraveled, with fast straights and long, gentle sweepers. It runs parallel to and above Lake Koocanusa, with the Canadian Rockies to the north, so you get superb views with your thrilling driving experience.

@Stefan - Sounds like a beautiful outing! I’ll admit I prefer a combination of views and driving excitement.

Missoula, Montana to Lewiston, Idaho - 210 miles with no straight-a-ways at base of the Rockies with green forest and clear river waters…definitely Porsche country.

My favorite Morgan road here in the Mid-Hudson Valley is NY Route 199 from Rock City to Millerton, only about twenty miles, but if you are fortunate to avoid Sunday drivers, it is a joy!

Someday we’ll return for another visit to Puerto Rico, and plan to drive
"La Routa Panoramica",
driving the length of the spine of the island - supposedly among the ten most scenic drives anywhere

The “BEARTOOTH HIGHWAY” is one of our favorites, driving Montana and Wyoming U.S. Route 212 in either direction between Red Lodge and the Northeast entrance of Yellowstone National Park. The switchbacks are incredible, as is the view, especially when you cross the Beartooth Pass at 10,947 feet above sea level.

We have several in Colorado that always elicit a grin that won’t disappear. CO 82 over Independence Pass from Aspen to Twin Lakes, CO 92 around the north rim of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, CO 114 from Gunnison to Sawatch and US 50 from Salida to Canon City. But maybe the best of all are the little Teller county roads 11 and 1 on the west side of Pikes Peak or even the Pikes Peak highway itself. It is an embarrassment of riches I tell you

X-Nevada Boy
Red Rock Canyon Loop NW of Las Vegas, always sensory overload.

Extraterrestrial Hiway 375 near Area 51. I have traveled that road many times and had headlights
coming towards me , but never pass any vehicle .

“the Gorge” I-15 between Mesquite NV and St George, UT an actual fun freeway.

For a scenic drive at a more leisurely pace, with lots to do at both ends and plenty of history along the way, it’s hard to do better than the 444 miles of the Natchez Trace from just south of Nashville to Natchez, MS.

But for spirited driving I love US 129. Not the Tail of the Dragon which is clogged with traffic most of the day, but the section in North Carolina that runs from the end of US 28 near the Deals Gap Motorcycle Lodge down to Tapoco, NC. It isn’t as twisty as 129 or US 28 but it will give your suspension a workout and it is just a lovely drive along Cheoah Lake.

I’m amazed the M1 southbound between Toddington services and Luton Airport isn’t mentioned. Sublime beauty at 7.45 am on a November Monday.

Stelvio pass ? Glencoe ? Most of Norway ? Glen Canyon, Zion National park and the road thru the Keys over 7 mile bridge to Key West are pretty special too, but my favourite in the US has to be the one thru Monument Valley. Route 163 ? Not so keen on on the deserted road out of Cape Canaveral when the local plod appeared from behind a shrub at 9.30 pm and insisted on an overzealous application of a ridiculously low limit. Seriously, have they nothing better to do ?

Certainly one of the most breathtaking drives anywhere. It’s important to note, however, that the road is usually closes in mid-October and doesn’t reopen until the end of May due to snow.

Hwy 136 from its eastern intersection with GA400 west to the Alabama state line. Great mountain road in Georgia with lots of small town character along the way.

I grew up in Lewiston, and second US 12 to Missoula. It’s part of the (Lewis & Clark) Northwest Passage Scenic Byway, following the Clearwater, Middle Fork of Clearwater, and Lochsa rivers through the Clearwater and Bitteroot mountains, over famous Lolo Pass and down into Missoula, where “A River Runs Through It”.

Also near Lewiston are several great steep, twisty switchback grades, dangerous because of steep drop-offs, but scenic and exhilarating: “Old Lewiston Hill” (US 95 Alternate), “Old Whitebird Grade” (US 95 Alternate), and “Rattlesnake Grade” (Washington SR 123).

That run was recommended to us ten years ago by a Canadian up in Canmore, Alberta who makes it an annual trek with about 9 or 10 other Porsche couples. When we hear of these things, I note them and then file in my “Great Drives” folder for future trips. This stretch became part of our 8,600 mile, 31 day road trip in our new Cayman last May and June. Your notes will be another entry in our folder.

What year is your 356??

My favourite route, southwest of Calgary, Alberta, is the Kananaskis Trail (Hwy 40) in the Canadian Rockies (closed in the winter -only opens around mid-June). To get there take Hwy 1 (Trans-Canada Highway) west out of Calgary for about 60 kilometers to the Hwy 40 exit. The Kananaskis Trail runs through the Highwood Pass -highest paved road in Canada. Comes out at Longview AB. Then take Highway 22 north back to Calgary. Highway 22 runs through two small, picturesque and historic towns: Black Diamond and Turner Valley.
Another, even more spectacular route, is Hwy 93 from Lake Louise north to Jasper, known as the Icefields Parkway, through the heart of the Canadian Rockies, also accessible from the Trans-Canada Highway west of Calgary. Half-way up the Icefields you can stop at the toe of the Athabasca glacier.

I wish I had a favorite road for my Datsun 240Z. The problem is that I live in California and the roads are awful where I live. My car loves to be “driven” and that means having a nice smooth clean road to drive on. The Z’s suspension is a bit stiff, I built it that way for better handling. Maybe someday the people who take our tax money will stop wasting it and fix our crumbling infrastructure once and for all. My backside would surely appreciate it!