In my 1951 Buick the (stupid) hydraulic brake light switch went out for the THIRD time. Maybe I watched too much MacGyver as a kid, but I took a clothes hanger and fashioned a D shape, where the straight leg of the D followed the floor mat, where it was attached with duct tape, and the curved part stuck up under the brake pedal. I took a 10" square piece of aluminum foil from the kitchen and folded it over-and-over down to about a 5" x 2" wad that I duct taped to the back of the brake pedal. I happened to have a piece of speaker wire with insulated alligator clips soldered on the ends left over from my son’s oobleck-on-a-speaker science fair project. I connected the wire to the pigtail at the hydraulic switch, then routed it through the fender, in through the driver’s door, and connected it to my makeshift switch, one side to the hanger, one side to the wad of aluminum foil. When I pressed the brake pedal, the aluminum foil wad would come into contact with the curve of the D and bend it downwards–completing the circuit–but when I released it, it would spring back up. It stayed like that for about 6 months until my dear wife bought me a mechanical brake light switch for Christmas. It worked like a charm, plus the sparks were a little exciting.