Hagerty.com

Question of the Week: What’s the best deal you’ve scored on a collector car?

A friend told me his work buddy had a 1986 Buick Grand National with blown head gaskets & possible engine damage from the coolant because it started blowing tons of smoke. They parked it in their garage & covered it and that’s where it sat for 8 years. I went to look at it & the body was rust free, but had dozens of small dents on the hood, roof & trunk lid. He said his Rottweiler got locked in the garage by mistake & jumped up on it to look outside.
So here is a car that doesnt run, bodys all dented but it only had 36k and excellent interior.
He wanted $5000 so I offered 2500 & he took it.
He flat bedded it to my house & I did some diagnosis. Found the turbo seal was blown so I bought a new turbo for $800 & changed the oil & filter, dropped the tank, flushed the fuel from the lines & it fired right up.
Took it to a paintless dent repair place and they charged me $400 to remove 21 dents! Lol.
He said that was the most hes ever done including hail damage!
Loved that car kept it for 8 years. Never should have sold it.IMG_20150910_161500

In 1988, I bought a 1969 Camaro from a coworker. Running, driving, numbers matching registered factory a/c 327 car with a complete NOS GM replacement interior… for $800. Still have it today - completely restored!

My 1980 Turbo Trans Am a year & a half ago. It was listed on Craigslist as Trans Am. Click on listing and it only said two-tone Trans Am, no year, pics, or any other description. So being a T/A lover, I had to send an email (there was no # listed). Guy calls me, and says it’s a 1980 Turbo Trans Am with 27K miles on it ! Not too shabby for a 36 year old car. He had it for 10 yrs & put 6K miles on it & let the inspection run out 5 yrs earlier. He would run it around the block every so often & then tuck it back into the garage. The car is original, except for tires & such. He was asking $4,000 for her. Which I gladly paid. I even gave him an extra $200 so he could take his wife somewhere nice.

In Jan of '17 I scored this '03 Porsche 911/996 C2 for 17.750K$, an online guitar broker took it in trade, he was a car nut but only liked older cars. Only had 55K miles, 18" rim option w/ new tires 225F/285R. It was luv at first sight. I drove it for 8 months and had to get his big brother an '03 turbo I found in Montana for 38K$. Both have much lower than avg miles & are 9/10 outside, 9.5/10 inside.

I scored a 1953 F100 “Cartooned Themed” truck in excellent condition here in Kansas.

Great choice. The W124 was the most bulletproof Mercedes ever built. My Children’s Godfather bought the W124 320 CE coupe, one of the prettiest cars of its era.

Drove my first Benz in 1971 in Australia - 300 SEL 6.3. Also a great driver’s car.

I owned a single Mercedes 190 when working for Price Waterhouse in the late 80s. Solidly reliable and very sure footed.

My Best Deal.

Car was purchased in in 1968 for $750. Now valued at a little more than more than $253,000.

Only 26 of that particular model made. Carroll Shelby made the Brand famous.

Photos

I rebuilt the engine - replacing the shell bearings in the 5 bearing crankshaft prior to going racing.

Engine still runs well 40 yrs later

Car is AC ACE Ruddspeed Stage 4 tuned. - Engine - Straight 6 - fed by triple Weber 40 DCOE Carbs.

From 2013: I bought a 1961 Chrysler 300G in decent shape (running/driving, minimal rust) for $4300.

In 1981 I bought a Lamborghini Espada for $14,000.00 I restored it twice. The second time I did a ground up restoration because Ferruccio Lamborghini was planing on visiting the U S for the 1993 Pebble Beach Concours. Unfortunately Ferruccio passed away in February of '93 but my car was chosen to show at the Pebble Beach Concours.

1987, 19 hrs old, bought a very nice 60k miles 1969 Z28 for $6500 off a guy about my age now. One engine build and one re paint , 31 years have gone by already. Now it only has 83k on and staying in the family.

Bought a 1992 Mercedes Benz 500SL with 88k for $3000 earlier this year. Car is rust free with everything intact from the factory. Car runs awesome and after some top cylinder repairs and some brakes, I’ve got a terrific summer cruiser. Considering that it cost $97,000 new, it’s a heck of a deal!