Hagerty.com

Question of the Week: What’s your favorite automotive myth?

My timing slipped. Nah, once you tighten the distributor it doesn’t slip.

And those figures are obtained without engaging the flux capacitor!

2 Likes

That pouring automatic transmission fluid into the carburetor of a running engine would free up “sticky valves”. I witnessed my Dad (a Mechanical Engineer) doing this to our cars in the 60s every year when he did an annual tune up on our Plymouths and Oldsmobiles. Nowadays, I think he really did it just to amuse us kids with a giant smoke bomb, sortof like when we used to ride our bikes behind the mosquito “fogger” trucks that ran up and down neighborhood streets laying down massive clouds of thick white insecticide fog. Somehow, 50+ years later, I’m still alive.

Only a mechanical fuel injection system has to have air bled from the system. I don’t know if gasoline systems did, but diesels still do, at least with mechanical distributor pumps. There are some new automotive diesels with electric pumps and injectors – they may not need to have air bled from the system if run out of fuel. I don’t think the type of fuel pump is the issue in a mechanical system, it’s more the fuel distribution pump… which on many diesels is also the fuel pump.

AMCs were assembled from parts made by every other manufacturer. Particularly that the V-8s were made by Ford (AMC made a 390) and Chevy (the AMC 327 predated the Chevy by 7-8 years). Look at the engines and you can tell they aren’t Chevy or Ford… if you really know what a Chevy and Ford look like! It’s true that AMC used SOME parts form others – GM steering boxes and columns (after collapsible columns were required), GM, Borg-Warner then Chrysler automatic transmissions (depending on year), Autolite, Carter, and Holley carbs, Wagner and Bendix brakes, and electrical systems (starters, generators, distributors) by GM, Ford, or Chrysler depending on years (some years both depending on engine). Those are high dollar development items, and AMC had limited resources. So they developed their own engines, bodies, suspension – the things that really define a car, and bought A FEW ancillary components that they could buy cheaper than they could make. Good business sense. All the auto makers do it now, by subassemblies from outside, smaller companies then assembling the cars in company plants. Most of the parts made for AMC by others won’t fit other makes, with the exception of carbs and alternators, which are pretty universal fit. Some starters will interchange with other makes, but not all.

1 Like

This is true, the turn of the century mothballs were made of naphthalene very flammable.
On an old model T my uncle would put them in the tank for extra power going up the Colorado
mountains.Sometimes up a steep hill backwards,gravity feed of the fuel tank also played a part in backing up a mountain.

I think the trans fluid had a detergent in it , oil didn’t at the time.So maybe it did help.

I had a few in my time,hard starting in the morning the gas would leak out overnight.The well would be dry.Putting epoxy on bottom side would fix it.

Did the Chaparrals beat the Europeans, and Ford?

Much more effective when adding trans fluid to oil than carb…although by the time lifters are sticking, you have other issues.
Think of all the sludge that will start to circulate.

My favorite myth is someone having one of the factory race cars with no vin as a driver with plates. 1968 Hemi dart or Cuda were most common, but there were others.

For 1927 the color pallet was actually expanded from 1926. My reference was only to indicate when colors returned to the T.
Alas, my 1927 T coupe is, and appears to have always been, black.

Yes, I heard that Life cereal Mikey died eating Pop Rocks and drinking Coke while riding in a Corvair that rolled after rear ending a Pinto that blew up. :grin:

5 Likes

…and I thought my brother and I were the only ones who were stupid enough to follow those trucks! Yep, still alive here, too. Hmmm… I wonder what kind of insecticide was used?

I think you misread my post. The only split window is the ‘63. Only the coupes had them. No such thing as a split window convertible. So…split window coupe is repeating yourself. Have fun running in place.

John DeLorean is still in - or went to - jail.

That you can’t get DeLorean parts any more.

The DeLorean has an aluminum body.

That cocaine was smuggled in the cars from the factory.

5 Likes

Actually, NOT a myth. Back in the day of primitive oiling systems & solid lifters, revving the engine flooded critical components with added lubrication. Especially important with collector vehicles that sit unused for long periods. I forget the reasons, but I believe it is also recommended to shut off with the throttle opened wide.

Yes, of course… But, I was referring to vehicles built after 1980, when most had fuel injection.

My favorite myth was that if you wadded up aluminum foil and put it in the hubcaps, it would jam police radar thus keeping you from getting a ticket!

3 Likes

sarge - Do you remember what year the Q-Jets were? The very early ones used a “mini freeze plug”, and they can leak, but the later ones used a solid metal plug that was “spun” into place, and I’ve never seen signs of them leaking.

• Jim

What It All Boils Down Too Is The Nut At The Wheel & That Is Not Metal.