Hagerty.com

Question of the Week: What’s your favorite four-door?

When it comes to classic cars, four-door models often play second fiddle to their two-door siblings. But some models got it right with an extra pair of doors, and we want to know which more-door is perfect to your eyes.

Decades ago it was commonplace for a manufacturer to produce multiple body styles of the same model. A great example is the 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air, which came in a whopping eight body styles. When given the choice today, many buyers prefer two-door and convertible models of vintage cars. But four-doors seem to be having a bit of a resurgence as buyers get priced out of the two-doors so instead buy four-doors to fill their garage.

The rear doors are almost hidden on this 1949 Cadillac. (Photo Hagerty)

Tell us below which four-door model you think is better than its two-door sibling. After all, there’s nothing wrong with extra doors.

The best looking four-door cars, according to you

Has to be the Holden Commodore based Pontiac G8/Chevy SS. Those cars look fantastic as a sedan.

The Lancer EVO 2-5 has got to be way up there for me. Clean 90s simplicity with just enough aero bits to be pretty serious looking.

To my eye, the 2nd generation CTS-V looked better with 4 doors when compared to the more flamboyantly designed coupe body style.

The 95-97 HSV GTS-R is one of my all time favs for sure.

I think all of the modern Caddy’s look wayyy better as sedans vs coupes.

Mercedes-Benz 190 E Evo II
Cosworth powered Dog leg dear box goodness

Classic: 1971 Satellite.
Modern:. Hellcat Charger

I actually find I like more four doors than any other body style. It’s hard picking favorites. But here’s a couple cost-no-object ones worth mentioning:

Jaguar Mark X

It’s what the Chrysler LHS wanted to be when it grew up.

Bugatti EB112

Bugatti EB112 sedan 4door.jpg
By Riceburner75 - https://www.flickr.com/photos/41364417@N04/3812271629/sizes/o/in/set-72157621895228813/, CC BY-SA 2.0, Link

Only 3 were ever made (this was just before Romano Artioli’s Bugatti folded in 1995) but in my opinion it re-captured the glamour of ultra-lux pre-war cars better than anything else built after 1970.

'55/'56 Imperial. Just the bomb!

Without a doubt the 1967-71 Thunderbird 4-door with suicide doors!

Any of the four-door" hardtop" wagons, and especially the Cadillac 4-door “sedans” that had no B pillar.

I’m a little biased because it’s mine. 1958 Pontiac Pathfinder

My favorite 4 door is the 1970 Electra 225 with 455.

My choice—The 49, 50, & 51 Mercurys look striking in the 4 door version.

My favorite 4 door is a 1949 Packard Custom 8.

The 64, 65, 66 Cadillac Sedan de Ville. Sporty looks, with comfort, performance, and durability. No problem passing modern cars, but braking is kind of marginal, so plan for evasive moves!

1955 Studebaker Commander V8, 3speed w/overdrive .Plenty of power and comfort to travel anywhere!

anything with suicide rear doors will work but especially the 60’s Lincoln continentals.

The 1973 Grand Am is much better looking than the 2 door colonade version
The 1975 and 1976 Fleetwood Brougham is much better looking than the 75 and 76 Fleetwood Eldorado coupe - the convertible is a different story
67 thru 79 Lincoln Continental sedan is better looking than the coupe of those years they were produced.
69 though 75 full size rear wheel drive Chrysler and imperials (when produced) were much better looking as a 4 door hardtop than their coupe counterparts